Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

This is shocking.

(9 Posts)
Gonegirl Wed 09-Oct-19 09:38:41

forests burned for growing soya

And the big fast food companies in this country buy the meat reared on this soya.

EllanVannin Wed 09-Oct-19 10:33:26

Furniture too don't forget. Consumerism dictates that everyone needs new furniture etc. That's okay, we'll chop down a few forests, it doesn't matter that it's the habitat of various animals !! Orang Utan's will fast become extinct. Why are we more important, we'll never become extinct ?

Daisymae Wed 09-Oct-19 11:35:01

It's truly shocking. It's not as if we don't know the consequence. Habitats that are vital to maintain the climate are being systematically destroyed. Human greed knows no bounds.

Namsnanny Wed 09-Oct-19 13:04:02

Gonegirl...where is this happening?

Namsnanny Wed 09-Oct-19 13:07:02

Don’t worry, I’ve read the link!!smile

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Oct-19 13:13:03

I can’t bear it

EllanVannin Wed 09-Oct-19 13:24:48

We need the trees/rain forests to halt the flooding that we see and read about. They're so important.

Grammaretto Wed 09-Oct-19 15:05:39

I'm a semi-vegetarian who hardly ever eats soya. I say semi because I eat fish occasionally.

The planet needs the rain forests that's for sure.
Planet earth needs an intact eco system.

I'm sure I still consume far too much but I am trying to cut down. and save money

Happiyogi Wed 09-Oct-19 17:48:08

Grammaretto, I think you're spot on with the consumption idea.

We've all been stealthily seduced over a long period of time by wily advertisers into believing that we "need" more things. A fresh, bright decor for spring then a darker cosy one for winter. The latest style of clothing, to show everyone how up to date and in the know we are. The newest processed foods, because naturally we are socially much too busy to make our own... An endless torrent of "the new", which preys on our inadequacies and yields vast profit to those who sell us things that we don't need and the planet can't continue to support.