Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Bird watching DUH!

(11 Posts)
tanith Wed 04-Dec-19 11:46:51

I’m really an idiot, before he died my OH bought binoculars so he could watch the birds on the feeder he had many hours of enjoyment. I got them out a few weeks ago but never could get the settings right everything was blurry and I tried everything to get them to clear even a good clean but nope didn’t work for me.
This morning I thought I spotted a woodpecker so grabbed the binoculars in hope and hey presto it was clear as a bell I didn’t understand till I realised I was wearing my glasses it had never occurred to me before that I should be wearing my reading glasses but it worked. ?

Baggs Wed 04-Dec-19 11:50:48

You can usually adjust the eye pieces of binoculars so that they can be used with glasses or without, tanith. Try twisting the rubber on the eye pieces. If they're turned to "in" or low, you can use the binocs with glasses. If they're in the out or high position, that's better for people without glasses.

Glad you solved the frustration anyway ?

tanith Wed 04-Dec-19 13:28:54

Thankyou Baggs I didn’t know that either I’ll try that too.

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 13:34:48

for many people, using binoculars is a 'skill' that needs many hours of practice. Took me quite a while, but now I always have them with me- here, there and anywhere. Great to see detail when visiting a Castle or a Cathedral too. Mine a my prize possession.

Alima Wed 04-Dec-19 14:44:10

I thought you were going to say you had left the lens caps on! (Well done on finding the binoculars. Takes us ages to remember where ours are. Nothing posh, they came free with a wok donkeys years ago. Never did work out the relevance!)

grannylyn65 Wed 04-Dec-19 14:59:46

Initially thought you said ‘free with a donkey !! ‘ ?

Alima Wed 04-Dec-19 15:33:32

Ha, ha grannylyn65. Which bit would you look though?

EllanVannin Wed 04-Dec-19 16:53:47

I'd be lost without my binocs. They're a family heirloom and belonged to pa-in-law, but they're so heavy. He used them at sea and they've been fantastic for watching the " Queen " ships on the Mersey and the Beluga plane that flew over at the backend of summer.

I'm sure Trumps plane flew over here the other night as he was flying from Dublin. It was a heavy sounding plane, unlike the Easyjet sound and I'm sorry I hadn't darted out to see.

Greyduster Wed 04-Dec-19 18:13:59

If you’re not used to binoculars, Tanith, start by closing your left eye, and focus what you see with your right eye (if that is your dominant eye) by turning the eyepiece focus wheel until you get the clearest image. Then when you look with both eyes you should only have to use the centre focus wheel to get a good image. If you are a spectacle wearer, and your binoculars have soft rubber eye pieces you may be able to adjust them to accommodate your specs. Happy bird watching!

Greyduster Wed 04-Dec-19 18:15:47

Apologies to Baggs who has already given you the specs info!

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:34:44

I had a good laugh at free with a wok donkey

...remember I have poor eyesight smile