Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Samsung and built in obsolescence. I’m so cross???

(9 Posts)
ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 14:43:10

My not 2 year old TV no longer supports BBC iPlayer but a firestick will allow me to access the channels.

This is a choice made by a manufacturer to ‘encourage’ customers to buy another TV. As if we haven’t got enough problems dealing with all the rubbish created by consumerism.

Well, I won’t be buying a Samsung again, ever! In fact, if it wasn’t for my grandchildren watching CBeebies I wouldn’t have bought a fire stick either.

We are at the mercy of these global companies who just make stuff that breaks down and creates endless rubbish.

Alima Tue 10-Dec-19 15:12:07

I would be cross too, just adds to the rubbish mountain as well as the fact a TV should last for years. (Know you mention a fire stick, £79 a year?, but am sure someone mentioned a Now TV box too which may access other channels/iPlayer. Think it is just a one off payment.

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 15:19:38

The fire stick allows you to stream loads of tv channels, free and pay and as far as I can see, no subscription needed. It just plugs into the TV

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 15:22:20

BTW, just bought the newest one for £49.99. Cheaper than a new tv. It also turns non smart tv into a smart tv. Although the Samsung wasn’t that smart in my case.

62dg Tue 10-Dec-19 15:28:38

Me too I’ve got a Samsung tv that’s only 4 years old and was completely thrown when I discovered I could no longer access the I player. Paying to have the I player goes against a principle really, but we are in their hands entirely!! We have paid our licence fee after all.

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 15:47:15

Trouble is, it’s nothing to do with the BBC, it’s Samsung that don’t support it anymore on some TVs. The guy I spoke to at PC World Know How (extended guarantee), said it’s how the company gets people to buy a newer model. I went onto Facebook and wrote a very cross message about Samsung. I really feel ripped of, as well as the terrible waste of resources and rubbish that this creates.

Tigerdove Tue 10-Dec-19 16:55:33

Strange, I bought my Samsung July 2017 and iPlayer is working on mine, I have just checked

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 17:03:58

I had the impression from the tech guy that it was only on some models. Maybe the cheaper ones?

Davidhs Tue 10-Dec-19 18:00:38

Obsolescence has been happening for many years, it’s called progress - get used to it. I’ve just had to upgrade my iPad because the old one wouldn’t work with the new Apps I needed for online banking.
Any electronic device will work with service it was designed for, if new services become available you have to decide if you want it enough to upgrade.