Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Flytipping and how to stop it

(11 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 11:56:20

Wouldn't it be cheaper for councils to allow free disposal of rubbish rather than pay the excessive cost of clearing up illegal flytipping? It's not only the odd items left in city streets but the huge sites out of town where massive amounts of rubbish are left.

Joelsnan Tue 17-Dec-19 12:01:15

Most councils have sub-contracted waste services to private companies and this is why we now have this issue. The contractors specify what they will and will not accept and from whom. Plus although businesses pay exorbitant rates, getting rid of business waste is ridiculous.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 13:47:20

But someone has to both collect the illegal rubbish and dispose of it which must cost more than just disposing of it. At least if they accept the rubbish in the first place the collecting would not be necessary. Rubbish is rubbish and one way or another has to be dealt with.

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 14:13:04

Chestnut, county councils, or equivalent are responsible for running tips and charging for waste disposal

BUT

Clearing flytipping up is the responsibility, not of the County Council but the local council, unitary or whatever the description.

So county councils can levy charges that cause flytipping without concern, because clearing up the rubbish isn't in their budget.

NonnaW Tue 17-Dec-19 15:40:34

I don’t think it’s necessarily anything to do with the cost, their wise why would there be piles of black bags full of rubbish dumped at the roadsides? Where we used to live, it was quite usual to see piles of rubbish dumped in a lay-by near the tip, probably because they changed the opening hours and people couldn’t be bothered making a return trip.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 20:01:06

Well I suppose at least they tried to get to the tip. The tip should be open 24 hours and for free. We don't want rubbish left anywhere else and that's the only way.

pinkquartz Tue 17-Dec-19 20:03:20

OP

yes it would.

can't believe the councils cannot work this out themselves.

pinkquartz Tue 17-Dec-19 20:05:29

It would not be expensive o rthe councils to organize a once a month collection around houses for a nominal fee that covered costs.
Plus it would provide a few jobs.
Councils, not known for intelligence!

pinkquartz Tue 17-Dec-19 20:05:49

ooopos I meant and common sense.

farview Wed 18-Dec-19 15:59:22

It saddens me so much to see rubbish including furniture, electrical goods,baths,sinks,builders rubble
dumped on our beautiful moorland and in beauty spots...

J52 Wed 18-Dec-19 16:20:58

My late PILs lived in an area where a community skip was placed for a weekend, once a month for residents to put bulky rubbish in.