Science/nature/environment

Plastic!

(11 Posts)
rosecarmel Sat 16-May-20 00:31:47

be fleeting .. smile

rosecarmel Sat 16-May-20 00:31:13

Not game, take .. smile

rosecarmel Sat 16-May-20 00:30:44

I was listening to a wonderful segment on NPR a week or so ago- The man being interviewed said that one of the game always from the pandemic will be a deeper understanding of wants, needs, consumption and waste-

He said that the lesson will fleeting in the US and lost completely after a vaccine but will be embraced by most other countries-

Grannynannywanny Sat 16-May-20 00:23:39

I found with my Tesco click and collect they used many more bags than really needed.
They separated the items by dept. Eg one bag just had a small block of cheese and a butter as that was all I ordered from dairy counter.

Another bag had just a pack of carrots and a bulb of garlic.

My shopping was in 9 carrier bags when 2-3 would have plenty.

I do find click and click very efficient. I just wish it was easier to get a slot. I waited 3 weeks for that one

Atqui Sat 16-May-20 00:09:30

and they aren’t even using the full capacity. Today I had a carrier bag with one item in it

Atqui Sat 16-May-20 00:07:34

Morrison’s started the option of large brown paper bags a few months ago - I think you had to pay for them like plastic carrier bags , and they are more expensive. I would be only to pleased to add extra money for my delivery if it came in paper carriers rather than plastic bags. We are going to be back to square one .

Shrub Fri 15-May-20 07:46:43

And everyone is buying wipes again! I can see they are necessary in hospitals and for disinfecting trolleys etc, but totally unnecessary at home. Use a cloth and detergent.

Furret Fri 15-May-20 07:21:22

paper bags!

Furret Fri 15-May-20 07:20:54

Yes, that is the case with supermarket deliveries and I can’t see a way out of it at the moment if you rely wholly on them.

However, delivery from local shops arrive in cardboard boxes. Fruit and veg were loose and other items eg flour, yeast, dried products, oats, were in pale bags.

PamelaJ1 Fri 15-May-20 07:06:25

Probably go back to the ‘old normal’??

It would be fantastic if we took stock and made a change to what and how we use our planet’s riches. Plastic is an important part of our lives but, unfortunately, it is also used to manufacture such a lot of old tat.

This virus lock down could be an opportunity to change our buying habits but It probably won’t.

Sorry to be a pessimist but until we manage to convince the worlds leaders that we need to buy less and pay the low paid more for less, I don’t think the message will get through.

merlotgran Thu 14-May-20 23:32:55

Is it really not that very long ago that we were discussing David Attenborough's shocking documentary about the damage to the environment caused by plastic?

Plastic became public enemy No 1. We were on a mission to eliminate it from our lives wherever possible.

That was pre CV.

Now plastic is our best friend again. Our supermarket deliveries are back in plastic bags and who can object to the plastic involved in the production of PPE?

What are we going to do with it all if and when this is all over?