Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Gulls ganging up on hawk

(9 Posts)
MellowYellow Tue 21-Jul-20 17:12:16

Just seen an amazing site. A large hawk appeared over my town centre flat (Cornwall) and was immediately surrounded by dozens and dozens of seagulls. They flew round and round it in huge circles so it couldn't escape and gradually drove it towards the sea, where they opened ranks and let it go. There are loads of baby gulls among the roofs here, ripe pickings for a hawk, or so it must have thought! I've lived near gulls all my life and never seen this.

MellowYellow Tue 21-Jul-20 17:17:00

Ha ha, sight not site.

Squiffy Tue 21-Jul-20 17:39:59

I wonder if that’s normal gull behaviour or whether you’ve got ultra intelligent gulls in Cornwall?!

SueDonim Tue 21-Jul-20 18:10:31

Rooks and crows quite often mob the buzzards round here. Seagulls will also join in if they’re around.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Jul-20 18:13:36

Seagulls are highly intelligent birds especially where their young are involved sounds wonderful sight to see maybe we can copy it and run a few ‘wronguns’ out of out towns

MellowYellow Tue 21-Jul-20 19:00:27

Well, we've certainly got ultra stroppy gulls here Squiffy! Too many Cornish pasties for the taking. Good one BlueBell. grin SueDonim yes I can imagine rooks and crows ganging up, had no idea gulls joined in.

midgey Tue 21-Jul-20 20:40:05

I watched gulls mobbing a buzzard until it left the area, the buzzard has been around for years....the gulls are the newcomers!

Jomarie Tue 21-Jul-20 20:43:34

Lucky you - I wish I'd seen this - must have been amazing - nature is so very clever grin

MellowYellow Tue 21-Jul-20 21:14:47

Gulls always think they own the place I think, midgey! If they had just chased the hawk away today I'd have been less impressed probably. It was the way they surrounded it in their droves and wafted it away! Yes Jomarie it was very special.