Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Anyone else having a siesta every afternoon?

(12 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 10-Aug-20 13:31:04

So it is too hot to do anything between 11am or noon and 6 or 7pm.

I’m beginning to try and get stuff done early in the morning and later evening.

The best times are sunrise to 10 am.

EightyPercentCocoaSolids Mon 10-Aug-20 14:10:04

I've had a nap in the garden the last two afternoons. Took a book to read in a shady spot under the trees, read a few pages and nodded off. I might well do the same today, I've had a productive morning working so no guilt!

PinkCakes Mon 10-Aug-20 14:48:20

Fat chance of that - the GC will be here shortly, so all peace will be shattered grin but I love to see them, of course.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Aug-20 14:48:51

I could easily have a siesta but I try to keep going, I just do everything slower and drink lots of water.

It definitely seems to be very hot and clammy between about 5-6pm here in the South East.

Jaxjacky Mon 10-Aug-20 14:54:10

I just can’t nap like this, it’s either in bed sleeping, or not. Ditto sleeping on planes. My Husband can just nod off sitting for 10/15 minutes, awakens refreshed; always envied this ability.

Teetime Mon 10-Aug-20 14:54:42

I always have a cap nap whatever the weather.

GrandmaMoira Mon 10-Aug-20 15:26:18

I sometimes have a siesta, especially if I haven't slept well the previous night.
These temperatures are too hot to have a siesta, don't sleep well at night, can't sit outside or be in the garden more than a few minutes. I'm just sitting around, going online, reading, watching TV and drinking water - normally i'm pretty active but this heat wipes me out.

Charleygirl5 Mon 10-Aug-20 15:29:26

I do not intend having a nap but I just have to sit down and that is me for up to an hour. I sleep well during the night so I have no idea why I do it.

AGAA4 Mon 10-Aug-20 15:30:28

If I nap during the day I find I can't sleep well at night but this humidity is making me tired.

merlotgran Mon 10-Aug-20 15:33:06

We head indoors by 11am as it's way too hot to do anything outside. Even pottering around doing some housework does not really appeal. I don't nap because I sleep well at night but DH can nod off anywhere any time.

We've just been saying what a waste of our lives this heatwave is becoming.

Franbern Fri 14-Aug-20 09:24:02

I find that as soon as I have eaten my (light) lunch, I need to have a proper rest. Just settle myself comfortably in my recliner chair and doze for about 30 - 45 minutes Takes me about another 10 minutes to pull myself together
I find I sleep better at night if I have had this daytime rest - obviously, stops me getting overtired.

Witzend Fri 14-Aug-20 09:36:09

I often do, regardless of weather. Lie on the sofa with a book, and very often nod off.
I will often set an alarm, though, so as not to sleep too long/fall into a really deep sleep.

Since I often don’t sleep well at night I’ve tried foregoing the afternoon zizz but it fact it makes no difference.