Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Happy Autumn Equinox!

(22 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 07:53:41

That was a funny sort of Spring and Summer. Never one like it before.

Let’s see what autumn and winter brings.

Every hope that by next spring we will have the happy news that a vaccine is up and running and we can forget this year and get back to normal.

MawB2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:15:05

Bring out the cashmere!

MawB2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:16:49

Oh dear, on reflection, how superficial that seems, of course I would like to hear positive news on Covid, but in the meantime it will have to be my snuggly jumpers - oh and boots.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:23:20

And jigsaws and crafty stuff.

I think we’ve done well so far managing this strange time, only another 6 months to go???

NfkDumpling Tue 22-Sep-20 08:35:01

I'm not sure about the 'Normal'. WW. I think a lot of what we've learnt is good and should be carried on. Like working from home, at least part time, which cuts down on travel, thinking twice about travelling on a plane just to bake on a beach, buying locally, etc.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:37:36

NfkDumpling

I'm not sure about the 'Normal'. WW. I think a lot of what we've learnt is good and should be carried on. Like working from home, at least part time, which cuts down on travel, thinking twice about travelling on a plane just to bake on a beach, buying locally, etc.

Absolutely

Riverwalk Tue 22-Sep-20 08:40:01

Looks like today is the last of the long hot Summer - will wear linen trousers to make the most of it!

MawB2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:48:01

Riverwalk

Looks like today is the last of the long hot Summer - will wear linen trousers to make the most of it!

All day and tonight too !

sodapop Tue 22-Sep-20 08:48:57

Thank goodness for Autumn, so looking forward to cooler weather. I love the glorious colours of the season and brisk walks instead of struggling along in the heat.

TwiceAsNice Tue 22-Sep-20 08:49:35

Yes looks like rain from tomorrow I’ve enjoyed the little mini Indian summer . I hope the winter with all the Covid strain is not too bad, winter is my least favourite season even in “normal” time’s. Here’s hoping we all stay well and safe .

On another note they are plugging everyone getting a flu jab but the earliest I’ve been able to book mine is Oct 17th, would have preferred it to be earlier

Grandma70s Tue 22-Sep-20 08:53:04

I love this time of year. It’s so beautiful and somehow exciting. I much prefer autumn and winter clothes to summer ones, too.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:58:23

I’m still in summer, but 13c forecast on Friday.

Just this minute phoned and booked flu jab for 3 Oct. Timed appointments and we will be met at the surgery door.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 22-Sep-20 09:12:51

I am with Grandma70s and sodapop and love this time of the year too. Beautiful Autumnal walks and cosy, er every, night in.

The lockdown in fact made me more appreciative of all the seasons, and relationships too. Just shows we never can predict what the future will bring, so all the more important to enjoy the present.

MiniMoon Tue 22-Sep-20 10:59:44

Oh please give a thought to the people living north of Manchester. Our Summer has been, for the most part, cool wet and windy. Put all together we've maybe had three weeks of fairly hot weather.
I was just saying to DH yesterday, that we should move south, as I'm fed up of having to wear a jumper or cardigan in the Summer!
I looked forward to spending lockdown sitting in the garden, I think I managed that about five times. On the other sunny days, it was too windy, even the summerhouse was draughty.

Now it's Autumn, Winter just round the corner, I hope we will have snow.

Riverwalk Wed 23-Sep-20 08:46:44

Problem is it's not beautiful autumnal weather only grey, dreary and wet!

Mustn't complain though - just get on with putting the summer clothes out of sight smile

Jane10 Wed 23-Sep-20 09:01:50

I love autumn. I always have. I like it when the clocks go back.
We had a brilliant May with blazing sunshine and balmy temperatures.
June/ July OK.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 10:25:18

As least we’re alive to see ? Riverwalk.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:54:17

I’ve just had some wool delivered two Christmas throws for offsprings advent gifts. These are for next year, but are to occupy me during winter lock down

I’ve nearly finished this years gift of a knitted wreath with Father Christmas sat in the middle - asleep. They get them on the 1st December.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 13:13:16

How about some craftivism Whitewave? Did you hear the item on R4 this morning? It can be a very effective way of activism. Unfortunately I don’t do craft but paint.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:23:16

Greeneyedgirl

How about some craftivism Whitewave? Did you hear the item on R4 this morning? It can be a very effective way of activism. Unfortunately I don’t do craft but paint.

What’s that. Sounds ok though

rockgran Wed 23-Sep-20 13:53:07

I love Autumn - even the wet cold sort. In fact I love that we have seasons. I would hate to live where the weather is always the same.

AGAA4 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:10:33

Another who loves autumn and don't mind winter. I can cosy up with a book and not feel guilty about not doing much in the evenings.