Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

PM's 10-point plan for 'green industrial revolution'

(19 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 19-Nov-20 15:48:34

Yes, I agree, Nandalot. Retro fitting can cause roof damage too. There are solar panel tiles, but you don't hear much about them (or maybe I just haven't been listening properly) and ages ago there was the possibility mentioned of a sort of throw-over solar panel for a roof which would not need so much attaching to the slates or tiles. Again, I don't know what happened to that.

When I was young I remember a lot of fuss about the unattractiveness of pylons, and then it was phone masts and now it's wind turbines, although many people, including me, like them to see whirling away. Those who moan still, presumably, want to use electricity!

Nandalot Thu 19-Nov-20 13:40:06

I just wish all new homes had to be built with solar panels. Surely a more efficient and cheaper way of doing this than retro fitting.

Davidhs Thu 19-Nov-20 12:40:34

paddyanne

Can I just point out that despite our good reputation for Green matters mr chief clown has said Nicola Sturgeon will not be welcome at the conference....in her home city.
S cotland has been at the forefront of the green cause for a number of years ,last year we planted 22 MILLION trees for example .

I would have thought Scotland would be capable of being fully renewable for power. Norway is very close to that now, with more hydro and maybe tidal Scotland could achieve that quickly.

kircubbin2000 Thu 19-Nov-20 12:21:24

We'll probably never hear another word about it knowing Boris. Think they're giving a massive amount to the army as well. Must be trying to hide something else.

paddyanne Thu 19-Nov-20 12:19:45

Can I just point out that despite our good reputation for Green matters mr chief clown has said Nicola Sturgeon will not be welcome at the conference....in her home city.
S cotland has been at the forefront of the green cause for a number of years ,last year we planted 22 MILLION trees for example .

paddyanne Thu 19-Nov-20 12:11:37

Scotlands renewables gave the UK its first full month of coal free power...The figures are online.Saturday night 2 weeks ago(the last time I checked) WE sent over 3000kw of energy south at 9'15 ,as oppsed to a couple of hundred KW from other sources.We can be self sufficient in energy and certainly better off if we dont have to pay the national grid instead of them paying us
.Gosh I do wonder what else we provide thats rattled Boris' cage about the Independence cause?
Actually I dont wonder. I know. And so will all those who believe WE are the scroungers when the truth comes to light

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Nov-20 10:57:10

Spare a thought for the young children in Africa sent down to mine the necessary ores for the batteries.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Nov-20 10:48:04

Every day from my walk on the downs, unless it is foggy or throwing it down I can see hundreds of off shore turbines. Always pleases me.

Davidhs Thu 19-Nov-20 10:31:48

I think they are attractive but we are not likely to see many more land based wind turbines because offshore are so much more efficient.

In Germany and France they are very common, even in national parks, where they make special provision, they are painted green.

We do need a “green” industrial revolution, it’s up to the government to provide the incentives, not just to develop them but actually build them. Not send the technology overseas and reap no benefit.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:55:12

My “home” village was the first to have commercial wind turbines in the U.K.

They are still there, silently doing their work after 30 years of pollution free energy.

Alegrias2 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:50:55

I think the turbines are beautiful smile The ones off Balmedie look amazing.

Elegran Thu 19-Nov-20 09:48:52

I can see the time limits drifting further and further ahead, but at least it shows that they have been thinking about it. Time will tell!

I daresay there will be resistance to a large increase in offshore wind turbines threatening to dominate tourist photos of our dramatic seascapes.

Alegrias2 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:35:39

Thank you for posting that link Elegran as I was not aware of the Scottish connection. This is posted under Science so I'm going to steer clear of political comment, except to say that the reliance on Scottish resources might be part of WM governments' reluctance about Independence.

I expect the timing of this announcement has a lot to do with the 1-year countdown to COP26.

Carbon capture is an interesting technology but it could be used to prop up our fossil fuel reliance. As for nuclear, we're just replacing one environmental disaster with another unless a cold fusion solution is found. But at least we are talking about the way forward. Whether we meet the actual dates or not remains to be seen, but we need to be planning this now.

What do you think about it Elegran?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Nov-20 05:40:43

He would be better concentrating on the immediate future and the shortages that are going to occur.

May promised the same by 2021 and look what happened to that.

I would be far more impressed if he started to take steps before his time in office was up I.e within the next year or so.

SueDonim Thu 19-Nov-20 00:45:26

I’ve read loads about it today. The consensus seems to be that it’s partly to please Carrie and partly to please Joe Biden. Already the gas boiler cut-off date has slipped from 2023 to when it’s feasible.

I suspect a lot of the rest of it will slip back, too - after all, Boris won’t be PM in 2030 or even 2024.

suziewoozie Wed 18-Nov-20 22:44:25

I’m finding it hard to take it seriously however for some inexplicable reason

Elegran Wed 18-Nov-20 22:44:08

Missed that.

suziewoozie Wed 18-Nov-20 22:43:24

It was a main item in C4 news

Elegran Wed 18-Nov-20 22:00:51

Not much publicity being given to this in the media. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54989410