Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Danger - ice falling from roofs.

(5 Posts)
JackyB Sun 14-Feb-21 16:15:10

I heard a noise the other day as if something had fallen over. I ran round the house trying to see what it could have been, but it must have been ice sliding off the roof.

Avalanches off rooves are frightening, but the snow has gone and so this was unexpected as the ice isn't noticeable from the ground.

Stay safe everyone. Maybe we should enter and leave our houses via the chimney grin

Shandy57 Sun 14-Feb-21 14:22:53

Many years ago my son had his 'prom' in Alnwick, in the market place. I was nervous to drive him because of the snow but we got there safely - as we pulled in an avalanche of snow fell from the roof, just missing some girls in their lovely dresses! Definitely be careful near icicles too, I remember how big the 2010 ones were.

Auntieflo Sun 14-Feb-21 14:17:09

If you happen to be driving on a motorway, early in the day, beware sheet ice falling from the tops of lorries.

It happened to us a couple of years ago, and obliterated our windscreen for a few seconds. The noise was tremendous.

Septimia Sun 14-Feb-21 13:31:14

Also in the NE.
I suspect the strong east wind isn't helping. Not only is it causing drifts across the roads and blocking them, but has been blowing chunks of icy stuff off our roof, too.

Fennel Sun 14-Feb-21 12:28:11

I don't know if this is just local to us (NE) or widespread but it's very dangerous.
I was just about to come out of a shop when a large piece of ice fell off the roof and crashed splintering into many sharp pieces. I said a prayer of thanks, then when I got home noticed similar icey pieces outside our back door.
Talk about Stay at Home - Keep Safe.