Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

For birdwatchers out there...

(11 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 17-May-21 16:52:24

There was a programme on BBC4 last night made by Chris Watson. It featured dawn choruses all over the country but was also very informative for a novice like me. It was part of an electronic music on the BBC night so I couldn’t work out why it was on (although they’ve had a lot of mindfulness programmes recently) but I read that he’d been a member of Cabaret Voltaire a 1970’s band pioneering electronic music. We met him at a birdwatching talk a few years ago but he didn’t mention that part of his life. He’s worked a lot with David Attenborough. It was Chris that told us about Ravens communicating with each other at night swapping stories and pointing out where all the best food is. Given that the Corvids appear very quickly when I put food out for them I’m sure their powers of communication are very advanced. I do worry that, by encouraging them I’m endangering the local songbirds but hope that if I feed them they’ll be less likely to look for other sources of food. I’m hoping the programme is on iplayer because it might be nice to listen to as I’m trying to sleep.

Redhead56 Mon 17-May-21 18:46:17

Yes I heard about that and will catch up with it. I am fanatical about birds. I have done several bird counts for the Ornithology society and RSPB over the years.

MayBee70 Mon 17-May-21 18:54:39

It was quite a coup getting him to give a talk. I hadn’t realised how much other stuff he’d done. He was involved in the soundtrack for Chernobyl as well.

MayBee70 Mon 17-May-21 18:57:11

It is on iplayer. It’s called Dawn Chorus .The Sound of Spring. It is a repeat from 2015 but I’ve not seen it before.

Libby65 Mon 17-May-21 20:30:10

Why do cuckoos bother to come over here to drop their eggs in other birds nest then fly away? They don't even see their chicks!

Libby65 Mon 17-May-21 20:33:51

Why do cuckoos bother to come over here to lay their eggs in other birds nests then fly away? They don't even see their chicks!

MayBee70 Mon 17-May-21 23:22:09

Never thought about that. Wonder if it’s the only bird or animal that does that?

Juliet27 Fri 02-Jul-21 12:07:17

My poor mum blackbird has been so busy. Unfortunately the male disappeared and she was left holding the babies - both the first brood, which dads normally go on feeding, and a second brood still in the nest. We’ve been helping her with live mealworms but she seems to have done a wonderful job. I’ve just seen her having a well deserved rest in a patch of sunlight.

Namsnanny Fri 02-Jul-21 12:20:02

Meal worms are disappearing at a rate of knots here!

JaneJudge Fri 02-Jul-21 12:23:53

Juliet27

My poor mum blackbird has been so busy. Unfortunately the male disappeared and she was left holding the babies - both the first brood, which dads normally go on feeding, and a second brood still in the nest. We’ve been helping her with live mealworms but she seems to have done a wonderful job. I’ve just seen her having a well deserved rest in a patch of sunlight.

aww smile she must be exhausted x

The corvids have come closer to our house this year. They are not picking on the little birds though, they seem to be keeping watch of the field at the back. I suspect because of the red kites and buzzards

Juliet27 Fri 02-Jul-21 12:28:03

One year we had a male blackbird so exhausted by youngsters chasing after him that he took shelter in our garage (while we were in it) and took a rest for at least ten minutes.

Yes, even the corvids seem to be having more ‘enemies’ lately don’t they.