Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Where are all the Swallows

(24 Posts)
3dognight Tue 18-May-21 15:48:12

Swallows, Swift’s and Martins- where are they this year?
I have seen precisely three swallows so far this year. They are a usual sight over our urban gardens and fields of crops round here in north Nottinghamshire.

Have you noticed them yet?

MiniMoon Tue 18-May-21 16:00:18

Our swallows and house martins arrived last week.
On a walk by the river a couple of weeks ago, there were loads of sand martins. They nest in the river bank.

MiniMoon Tue 18-May-21 16:02:58

Ps. Swifts are last to arrive, usually at the end of May. They are also the first to leave in August.

aggie Tue 18-May-21 16:04:32

No swallows here this year ? but the Swift’s and House Martins are swooping around in the evenings catching the midges ?

muse Tue 18-May-21 16:09:10

Swallows been here (Cornwall) for a while.

EllanVannin Tue 18-May-21 16:20:23

Too cold in the NW for those birds now. We might get the odd swallow later on in the summer if the atmosphere warms up.
I can remember there being far more here years ago than now. Even the sparrows have deserted us and we now have finches in their place, not that I mind because they're sweet little birds.

It's even too cold here to see a parakeet or two such as there are Southwards.

sodapop Tue 18-May-21 16:42:51

They are all nesting in our barn and pooping all over. smile

3dognight Tue 18-May-21 17:36:46

So glad to hear all this news of sightings, I was beginning to think something terrible had happened to them all.

Maybe I’m wishing them hear too soon!

Mini moon- are you in the uk?

Soda pop- what I would give for a barn with swallows, all I get in pigeons pooing on my greenhouse!

Katie59 Tue 18-May-21 18:27:22

A few Swallows 2 weeks ago, no House Martin’s yet

BlueBelle Tue 18-May-21 18:30:51

It’s early yet I usually have swift’s in my eaves, none yet a few more weeks I think

MaizieD Tue 18-May-21 19:17:28

I've seen a couple, but they are late here (NE). They used to turn up around the end of April.

They seem to be getting fewer over the years, too. We used to have at least 3 nesting pairs, last year we had one.

hazel93 Tue 18-May-21 19:31:07

Swallows arrived about a month ago - S. coast.
A joy to watch them as they appear to be so happy to have made it and give a real display before moving on to the Downs.
Saw a couple of swifts last week but normally more by now.

Shelflife Tue 18-May-21 19:34:01

My house martins arrived yesterday, a joy to see them.

3dognight Tue 18-May-21 20:08:50

Yes, always a lovely sight to see them.
Such a long distance journey. Such a tiny bird. It lifts my heart to see them those first sighting of a good migration.

Hope they will come soon!

M0nica Tue 18-May-21 20:15:05

It seems according to naturalist commentators that they have been delayed by the unseasonal cold.

JaneJudge Tue 18-May-21 20:34:01

we are 2 hours south of you and they have only just started arriving smile it's late

3dognight Tue 18-May-21 20:46:21

I did wonder about the unseasonably cold weather, maybe they are delaying their leaving or making more stops and getting here later as a consequence.
I shall just have to wait and see.

Oldbat1 Tue 18-May-21 22:27:58

We have many swallows where I live in the North East of England. Love watching them swooping in and out of the old farm buildings plus enjoy the chittering noises they make.

sodapop Wed 19-May-21 09:14:26

We have the pigeons as well 3dognight constant mess isn't it.

3dognight Sat 29-May-21 13:13:52

Well they are here now over north Nottinghamshire, I heard them before I saw them yesterday when I stepped out of the kitchen door. Five of them swooping/ hunting insects high in the sky.

I guess they arrived with the good weather which we are enjoying here in the Midlands.

Redhead56 Sat 29-May-21 15:15:53

We see swallows here have for about two weeks now outskirts of Liverpool.

ExD Sat 29-May-21 15:28:09

We had a few a couple of weeks ago but they didn't stay. I think its too cold up here in Cumbria. I saw my first bluebottle today. We have plenty of sparrows and finches, and a couple pf goldfinches which is nice.
Even today (Saturday) although we started off warm (19c) its clouded over and feels like rain.

Katie59 Sat 29-May-21 15:58:23

Too cold for them until this week, Martin’s did arrive mid week, blame the cold wet weather.

Juliet27 Sat 29-May-21 16:02:18

Not heard a cuckoo for ages