Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

My Woodpecker is back!

(15 Posts)
Namsnanny Tue 01-Jun-21 15:36:32

After an invasion of rats encouraged by putting out food for the birds, we stopped for a while.
Then we put out only meal worm on the table and sunflower hearts in the feeders.
We left no food out after dark, with the exception of hanging feeders which only allowed small birds to use them.

Five years on and most of the birds visit as they used to, several times a day. But not the Woodpecker.

I assumed we would only see him if we went back to putting peanuts out. But as rats really love them we didnt do that.

But oh joy, he came swooping in to feed from the sunflower feeder today.
Right in front of the window!
I didnt know they would eat these seeds.

My next ambition is to get a photograph of him. So far every time I've tried he's flown away. So I dont want to scare him off now he's found the seeds.

He flies in with such gusto! Makes the other birds, especially the pigeons look like slouches! smile

rite Tue 01-Jun-21 15:47:32

How lovely Namsnanny. Is it a green woodpecker? We used to have green, spotted woodpeckers and lesser spotted woodpeckers in Essex but here in Gloucestershire I have only seen green woodpeckers and not any so far this year. Love to see your photos! hope you get lucky and manage to take some!

Callistemon Tue 01-Jun-21 16:23:26

We've had both types here but not frequently.
They seem to love the ants and we have a lot of ants so I hope they arrive again this year.

Liz46 Tue 01-Jun-21 16:44:38

We were on holiday in Cuba and I went back to our room for something. There was a terrible banging noise disturbing the peace in the gardens and it became louder as I got nearer to our room.
A woodpecker was hanging onto the wood along the top of our door and hammering a hole in the concrete!

shysal Tue 01-Jun-21 17:19:44

Great spotted woodpeckers work their way along my fences, eating the insects/spiders which live there.
One year I saw a sparrowhawk take one and then we could hear a baby calling from its nest high in a tree. It was heartbreaking to hear the call get fainter over the next few days after which it obviously died. sad

Namsnanny Fri 04-Jun-21 00:27:02

I've just been reading the RSPB web site, and it says they will raid nest of tits and eat the eggs or young!

I wish I didnt know that now.

I think it's a Greater Spotted rite

We have a Sparrowhawk visit our garden most summers. He/she is successful in catching a bird in around a quarter of the attempts. sad But it is what it is.

vegansrock Fri 04-Jun-21 06:56:16

We have woodpeckers in our London garden, they like the fatballs in the bird feeder.

Marmight Fri 04-Jun-21 07:09:48

I have woodpeckers nesting in the field behind the house. Last year one pecked the nesting box frightening off the resident blue tits - wee b****r! For all their cheek they’re very timid and getting a photo without seeing them off is quite difficult

Namsnanny Fri 04-Jun-21 11:31:36

Well you managed a good one there Marmite!?
Yes I'm finding it difficult to photographer him with my phone.
Maybe if I had a decent camera with a stand I'd have a better chance!
Nature is cruel isnt it?
The RSPB site said the birds the Woodpecker eat are too young to know enough to feel fear, so I suppose that's a blessing.

Kate1949 Sat 12-Jun-21 19:09:09

Well I'm flabbergasted to have just seen a bright green parakeet on a tree in our garden. We are in Birmingham!

MiniMoon Sat 12-Jun-21 20:24:47

I went out to go for a walk this afternoon and witnessed a jackdaw fly off with a young house sparrow that had apparently fallen from the nest.
We had a visiting female woodpecker during the winter, but she must be off to the woods to breed now.
Rather indistinct, but here she is.

foxie48 Sat 12-Jun-21 21:06:51

I had a couple of green woodpeckers outside my window yesterday and managed to get this pic of one of them. I think he was eating insects.

JaneJudge Sat 12-Jun-21 21:36:23

we had a Dad (or Mum) and a baby last year smile I'm sure it was the Dad though grin as well, it just behaved like a Dad

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 22:17:49

They love ants, foxie48

I wish ours would return.

muse Sat 12-Jun-21 23:32:45

Not a recent photo but they love the fat balls. I borrowed mrM's camera. Occasionally we get a youngster down. We can hear them tapping in the woods and sometimes the sound is slightly different. I wondered why and mrM said it was them tapping on the nearby pylons to attract a mate. The sound is much louder.