Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Good news for Scottish beavers

(14 Posts)
Elegran Thu 25-Nov-21 22:53:07

"The Scottish Government will actively support the expansion of the beaver population, promoting translocation, which involves safely trapping and moving beavers to a more suitable area." www.gov.scot/news/protecting-scotlands-beaver-population/ 24 Nov 2021

- instead of shooting them!

"The Government’s previous refusal to allow beavers to be relocated to new areas of Scotland, even though NatureScot has identified over 100,000 hectares of habitat, had left Tayside farmers whose crops are damaged by beavers with little option but to apply for a culling licence.
Since the Government legally protected beavers in 2019, its nature agency NatureScot has allowed over 200 beavers to be killed under license – despite laws under which beavers are a protected species which should not be killed unless there is no satisfactory alternative." treesforlife.org.uk/breakthrough-for-scotlands-beavers-a-win-for-nature-climate-and-farmers/

SueDonim Thu 25-Nov-21 23:39:18

That’s good! My son-in-law farms but they positively welcome the beavers on their land.

rubysong Fri 26-Nov-21 09:24:41

Ironic that we are encouraged to plant more trees for the sake of the planet, then bring in beavers to come and cut them down.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-Nov-21 09:29:14

Beavers are being used, very successfully, to prevent flooding of residential properties in the village where my son and daughter in law live.

Elegran Fri 26-Nov-21 09:29:27

Where beavers live, more trees. grow than were there before.
www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/beavers-climate-change-conservation-news

Baggs Fri 26-Nov-21 10:03:39

At last! Well done Scottish govt though you've taken your time about it!

Never heard of beavers damaging "crops" before. What's that about?

Bluebellwould Fri 26-Nov-21 10:12:38

My mind was boggled by the headline! Beavers was a slang name for ladies privates where I lived as a teenager. It’s nice to know to know Scottish ones are good news!

Mollygo Fri 26-Nov-21 10:30:30

Bluebellwould that thought passed through my mind as well!??

SueDonim Fri 26-Nov-21 10:55:35

There’s a Beaver Road in Ashford in Kent. I’ve always wondered what goes on there! grin

Bluebellwould Fri 26-Nov-21 11:20:17

Put that thought together with Baggs’s ‘beavers damaging crops’ and my eyes are truly watering! Gosh I needed a good laugh today.

Sarnia Fri 26-Nov-21 11:57:00

Lovely, industrious little animals. Well done Scotland.

Elegran Fri 26-Nov-21 13:40:28

Bluebellwould

My mind was boggled by the headline! Beavers was a slang name for ladies privates where I lived as a teenager. It’s nice to know to know Scottish ones are good news!

Another aspect to "eager beavers".

Ashcombe Fri 26-Nov-21 19:31:18

A friend of a friend found some Beaver brand paint in a Camden shop. Just the thing for a touch up ……. ?

SueDonim Fri 26-Nov-21 20:44:23

‘Nice beaver.’

‘Thanks, I just had it stuffed.’

Naked Gun movie. ?