Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

unusual creatures

(3 Posts)
Marmite32 Tue 30-Nov-21 19:02:22

duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Midwife+toads&ia=web
We came across this animal when we heard a continuous beeping sound outside in the barn. Like an electronic device where the battery is running out.
Looked it up and found it's a kind of male toad/frog which carries his wife's fertilized eggs on his back until they're ready to be born in water'
I actually found one in the damp grass next to our patio.
This was in France, but they're here now. One of the wonders of Nature.

Skydancer Wed 01-Dec-21 09:09:13

Nature never ceases to amaze. We just need to find the time to look. I have spent years showing my GS how to be observant and see the little things as well as the big things. It's all around us and, in my case, keeps me sane. I think a lot of people are starting to appreciate the outdoors and what it has to offer now that so much attention has been given to how much we are losing. I'd love to have seen your toad. Totally incredible! I'd advise anyone to build a pond, however small. It is fascinating and amazing to see how many creatures visit. Only last week a Grey Wagtail bathed in ours. In the summer we were visited by beautiful Dragonflies.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 09:19:36

Skydancer, yes, any pond (mine is a baby bath, sunk in a border) soon attracts all kinds of fascinating creatures.

I have little fish (sticklebacks, I think) so asked my elderly neighbour how on Earth they got there. 'Their eggs on bird's feet' she replied, straightaway!