Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Blue tit knocking on the window !

(21 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sun 30-Jan-22 09:44:18

Some blue tits have nested in my redundant overflow pipe and I've seen them to-ing and fro-ing in the garden. On Saturday and again this morning (both sunny days which is possibly relevant) they have been knocking on my kitchen window with their beaks. They look very cute doing this.

I googled, and according to the RSPB they are tapping because they can see their reflection in the window so they think it's another blue tit. They didn't do it yesterday when it was a grey cloudy day so the reflection bit makes sense, but anyone else had this?

LadyGracie Sun 30-Jan-22 10:01:44

I’m so envious, our old garden was always full of birds, we rarely see any here even though we’ve only moved a couple of miles.

Sparklefizz Sun 30-Jan-22 10:07:09

That's a shame LadyGracie. I am very careful because I have a cat. She has never caught anything and is mostly indoors with me, but I've also got blackbirds nesting in my forsythia and can see other nests in the trees a little way from my garden so there are a few birds around.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 30-Jan-22 10:12:18

Do you feed the birds LadyGracie? That’s the best way to attract them to your garden, together with fresh water.

crazyH Sun 30-Jan-22 10:17:28

How lovely Sparklefizz !

Redhead56 Sun 30-Jan-22 10:37:56

Every morning a female blackbird robin and a squirrel take their turn sitting on the wall outside the kitchen door. They don’t move until I put seeds and nuts out for them.

Sparklefizz Sun 30-Jan-22 10:39:33

Here he is, tapping away.

crazyH Sun 30-Jan-22 10:40:24

Cutie ?

muse Sun 30-Jan-22 10:43:47

I love to hear and see how them Sparklefiz. We have a lot of vegetation around our windows which attract spiders. We’ve wondered if the tits are after insects but I think RSPB are right. Even on cloudy days they’ll see a reflection.

Kate1949 Sun 30-Jan-22 10:44:11

Bless him. My sister used to feed the swans that come into her garden (a canal runs across the top of her garden. Unfortunately they began coming down and tapping on her patio door. Swans are big and it was quite scary. Now she just watches them from the door!

Sparklefizz Sun 30-Jan-22 10:49:41

There is a "swan bell" at the Bishop's Palace in Wells. The swans are on the moat and they have learnt to ring the bell for food.

Sparklefizz Sun 30-Jan-22 10:51:04

bishopspalace.org.uk/attractions/swans/

Kate1949 Sun 30-Jan-22 11:41:38

That's lovely Sparklefizz. Gorgeous fluffy babies ?

Grandmabatty Sun 30-Jan-22 11:45:56

I had to stop feeding birds as it was attracting rats. I was disappointed as I love small birds in particular.

michelleblane Sun 30-Jan-22 11:55:28

We have a blue tits at our bathroom window. They peck at the frame (which is a bit rotten and due to be replaced) We have clear glass as we have no neighbours and a good view from the loo!! Another lovely visitor today is this pretty woodpecker.

michelleblane Sun 30-Jan-22 11:59:32

That is a pity Grandmabatty. My mum was in a care home and she got a lot of pleasure from watching the birds. I fixed a clear bird feeder to her window and she had a robin visiting every day. Unfortunately it had to be removed as a rat was spotted in the grounds.

Sparklefizz Sun 30-Jan-22 12:55:34

Terrific photo michelleblane

lavendermine Sun 30-Jan-22 13:03:43

The pictures of the birds are lovely. The little blue tit, bless him, is so sweet.
I love to see the birds, I have visitors here too, not seen the woodpecker for a while I wondered if they migrated, but not if Michelle's is still around.

ShazzaKanazza Sun 30-Jan-22 13:16:50

We have a little Blackcap who taken residence in one of our trees guarding a fat ball feeder. He’s chasing the other birds off. But we have quite a few feeders in a couple of other trees and it’s amusing watching him trying to guard them all. As he leaves a feeder blue tits and long tails take it over lol. He’s cute but a bullying little so and so. He must be exhausted.

Brahumbug Thu 28-Apr-22 17:31:34

I have never had Blue tits knocking on the window, but we do get long tailed tits doing it.

Georgesgran Sun 15-May-22 22:15:09

I have lots of birds in my garden, but I’m plagued by jackdaws hammering on the bedroom windows - it’s really loud and quite frightening.
The advice to stop them isn’t practical, but it’s got to the stage where I haven’t opened the bedroom windows for 2 years - unless I’m actually in the room doing something.