Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Don’t cut your hedge!

(18 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Feb-22 13:26:14

Please remember the ban on hedge cutting comes into effect on TUESDAY! After that, it's an offence to trim hedges/trees, even in garden! It's also an offence any time to intentionally disturb a nest. All to protect our dwindling bird species who provide free pest control + song!

CraftyGranny Mon 28-Feb-22 13:33:30

No problem here. I hate gardening! We have three lots of sparrows building nests in the roof space or should I say spring cleaning their previous nests.

rafichagran Mon 28-Feb-22 13:37:34

Thanks I did not know about this.

grandMattie Mon 28-Feb-22 13:40:30

I didn’t know about that. Doesn’t affect me as I have no hedges.
It isn’t much advertised, is it?

Absentgrandmother Mon 28-Feb-22 13:41:27

How long does this ban last? Not that I am itching to cut my hedge just that I cant let it grow too high or I wont reach it.

ExDancer Mon 28-Feb-22 13:45:59

Thank you for that reminder. As a farmer's wife i should know the dates but I've forgotten. It does make sense to prevent nesting birds being disturbed - it should be better publicised I agree.

ExDancer Mon 28-Feb-22 13:47:25

I think the dates ate March 1st and September 1st.

ExDancer Mon 28-Feb-22 13:47:48

ate??? aRe

Teacheranne Mon 28-Feb-22 13:57:37

In England, this ban only applies to hedgerows around fields, not in gardens, although in Ireland it does apply to garden hedges as well.

If you read this information on Twitter as I did, there is a comment below the cartoon picture saying this. I was confused to did some research on the RSPB website and other places and found that it is a recommendation not to cut garden hedges during the bird nesting season, it is not law. It is however unlawful to deliberately destroy a nest anytime.

This is a quote from Suffolk Police earlier this month.

"We always, without exception, get reports from people complaining about people cutting their hedges, saying: 'You can't cut your hedge now, the birds are nesting,' but that's not the case. It's not law.

"The issue is when the birds are nesting, once a bird's nest is active, they are protected by law. If it's accidental, say you are moving something in your garden and you stumble across a bird's nest and disturb it, that is not intentional and not illegal.”

Obviously it is best not to cut garden hedges with active nests in but you are not breaking the law as long as you do not harm the birds or their nests.

Rosie51 Mon 28-Feb-22 13:59:22

www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/gardening-for-wildlife/plants-for-wildlife/garden-hedges/hedge-law/?channel=paidsearch&gclid=CjwKCAiAgvKQBhBbEiwAaPQw3Icu8YpLKVkudDgjs_WF72XAjF3w49iVVhbtToyM0EpSO1GwTG7LzBoCoqYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It only applies to hedges that have an active nest in them. If you check carefully and there isn't a nest you can trim. The neighbours at the bottom of the garden have a privet hedge where birds do nest so they gave it a tidy up last week.

Rosie51 Mon 28-Feb-22 14:05:06

Sorry Teacheranne your post wasn't showing and I hadn't refreshed the page before posting.

Teacheranne Mon 28-Feb-22 14:11:52

No problem, it takes me ages to type a post! I’m relieved that someone else found the same information as I did. I was planning to get my hedge cut next week but I’ll check carefully for nests first.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Feb-22 14:15:02

I didn't know that, Whitewave

We generally have ours cut in mid-winter anyway, when there are no leaves and before the birds start nesting.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Feb-22 14:16:43

In England, this ban only applies to hedgerows around fields, not in gardens, although in Ireland it does apply to garden hedges as well. Thanks, Teacheranne

It seems eminently sensible anyway

Shandy57 Mon 28-Feb-22 14:20:37

Thanks, I won't be cutting my hedge, but does explain why the farmers were out in early February cutting and covering the road in tyre puncturing hawthorn as they do every year!

ExDancer Mon 28-Feb-22 14:36:48

Nasty wicked farmers!

Spinnaker Mon 28-Feb-22 15:05:37

It doesn't apply to domestic properties/gardens in the UK.

Spinnaker Mon 28-Feb-22 15:07:41

Obviously through the bird nesting season hedge cutting wouldn't be done anyway - hopefully !