Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

New Natural History GCSE

(10 Posts)
Juliet27 Mon 18-Apr-22 08:29:14

Good to read this.

GCSE on the importance of the natural world and how to “conserve the planet” will be taught from September 2025. A Department for Education spokeswoman said it would enable young people to learn about organisms, the environment and sustainability and gain a deeper knowledge of the world“

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 10:01:35

Sounds like a good idea to me.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:33:32

I heard this on radio4 Today programme. The woman who has pioneered it has worked hard to get it taken up as a subject. Seems to me to be a good subject to study. She will include A level too once the gcse gets underway.

Rosalyn69 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:58:31

I think it’s a great idea.

LJP1 Mon 18-Apr-22 12:16:48

Schools no longer have nature walks in summer so the pupils do not learn the names of wildflowers or our trees!

I went to a local Council organised meeting which included the Council Estate Rangers who manage the Council Estates' trees and asked if anyone could name 10 British native trees - no one could!

The links with countryside matters have been so completely lost that the problems caused by global warming cannot be recognised at all.

If we don't know what was / is there how can we expect people to know when it has gone?

LilacChaser Mon 18-Apr-22 12:20:38

Long overdue but very pleased to hear it has materialised.

Juliee Mon 18-Apr-22 22:28:44

It sounds a good GCSE to study for. I guess environmental science, geography and elements of biology also cover parts of this GCSE, so there could be a large overlap.

BigBertha1 Mon 18-Apr-22 22:33:40

Can I do it. Sounds fascinating.

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Apr-22 23:36:30

BigBertha1

Can I do it. Sounds fascinating.

It certainly does, perhaps U3A will put on courses.

10 native British trees without looking them up
I spent hours drawing tres and pressing tree leaves at junior school but could I do that?
hmm
Sycamore is not native for a start.

grannydarkhair Tue 19-Apr-22 00:53:12

Off the top of my head - Rowan, Oak, Beech, Birch, Elm, Scots Pine, Hawthorn, Box, Ash, Lime (I think) ?
I still have books on native trees, birds, animals, fish, etc. that I either won or was given as gifts when I was wee. And yes, that sounds like a great GCSE subject.