Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Do you like moths?

(40 Posts)
Chestnut Sun 01-May-22 17:45:49

Apparently this young lady didn't like moths, but then had a life changing experience! This is a wonderful story and I'd like to share it with everyone.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXPd6I1MuQ
This nearly brought tears to my eyes because I'm a sucker for animal stories. Don't even get me started on rescued animals!

snowberryZ Tue 03-May-22 06:50:53

snowberryZ Tue 03-May-22 06:50:21

Chestnut

With all that fur it definitely needs stroking. We always want to stroke furry things because they somehow look cuddly.

Most furry things we stroke have skeletons similar to ours, whereas moths (and tarantulas) have ecto skeletons. They're full of mush inside. If you stroked too hard ..... Well. Yuck.

I think that's why people will happily stroke a cat or a koala.
But insects? Most people instinctivelyfind them creepy. envy
I'm sorry but you're not convincing me that they're cute.
But it's good for them that some people luke them.

Chestnut Tue 03-May-22 00:01:21

Yes, I remember the sound of the stag beetle's wings rattling as it chased me! I was 16 and absolutely terrified because it kept changing direction to follow me. Maybe it was just being friendly but I thought it was after me and wanted to poke my eyes out with those scary horns.

MayBee70 Mon 02-May-22 21:11:52

I had a peacock butterfly that hibernated in my downstairs toilet one year.

Fennel Mon 02-May-22 19:45:13

www.wildlifeinsight.com/british-moths/deaths-head-hawkmoth-and-caterpillar-acherontia-atropos/
What a lovely vido in the OP.
The deaths head hawkmoth and caterpillars were very common where we lived in France. But never became too familiar as they're so damatic. And did so much damage munching in our veg garden.
And stag beetles? One of them once flew past me when I was out for a walk. They mke a sort of rattling noise in flight.
A bit of a sidetrack, but did you know that peacock butterflies choose to spend their pupa stage on nettles?

OakDryad Mon 02-May-22 19:24:15

That's said to be the Venezuelan Poodle Moth and has been causing speculation for years. More info and other moth pics here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQ_BX62ISs

SueDonim Mon 02-May-22 18:51:43

It looks like a mad cross between a bat and a monkey. ?

Chestnut Mon 02-May-22 18:34:55

With all that fur it definitely needs stroking. We always want to stroke furry things because they somehow look cuddly.

SueDonim Mon 02-May-22 18:14:48

That’s kinda cute!

Chestnut Mon 02-May-22 16:28:46

Okay, I agree this moth looks jolly scary but isn't it amazing? It looks like an alien from another planet. Very very furry too. I don't think I'd want it coming into my house but I'm okay just seeing the picture.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-May-22 16:15:38

It’s their names that I love.

Enchanting creatures and so necessary for our biodiversity.

SueDonim Mon 02-May-22 16:12:43

:faints:

Chestnut Mon 02-May-22 16:08:58

Oh yes, they fly! Imagine being chased by this. And in London! All beetles open their wing cases and out come their wings. It's the same with ladybirds.

We digress from the beauty of moths but never mind.

SueDonim Mon 02-May-22 16:00:57

Stag beetles FLY?????? I haven’t seen a stag beetle for years but the thought of one flying and getting in my hair or something! ???

Chestnut Mon 02-May-22 15:31:58

Beautiful picture LadyStardust. I am not a particular fan of moths (even though I posted this) but their life cycle and birth are every bit as fascinating as butterflies and they are beautiful creatures.

I tend to go by whether they would harm me, so wasps are my dreaded enemy.

I also have a fear of stag beetles, having been chased by a couple back in the 1960s! There seemed to be a fair number around then (south west London) and it is terrifying to have one fly after you with their horns outstretched and their wings buzzing. They are so big! And I swear it was chasing me because I couldn't get away from it. Well, since then I have never seen one so I guess they are suffering like all our wildlife and have disappeared.

LadyStardust Mon 02-May-22 14:49:59

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. Moths are stunningly beautiful pattern wise if you look closely. The problem is they are usually dull colours and less vibrant than a butterfly. Look at this gorgeous emperor moth! There isn't an insect, animal, bird or fish I don't like or would hurt. Some humans however........hmm

snowberryZ Mon 02-May-22 14:41:11

Chestnut

I thought there would be lots of people on Gransnet who are supportive of nature and wildlife and would love to watch this! I'm really surprised so few have seen it because it's a wonderful little film.

I respect nature and wildlife and would never intentionally hurt one, but still don't like them.

Davida1968 Mon 02-May-22 14:33:17

I used to be frightened of moths but I taught myself not to be. (Never had a problem with spiders, bees, butterflies, etc.) I was determined that my DC would have no irrational fears of insects - and they don't. I love the natural world - except for cockroaches..... Can't abide the blighters.

Antonia Mon 02-May-22 14:29:52

No, I really don't like them. Not at all. I don't find them as attractive as butterflies, which have the decency to stay outside where they belong.

I have no use for wasps either.

Chestnut Mon 02-May-22 14:25:36

I thought there would be lots of people on Gransnet who are supportive of nature and wildlife and would love to watch this! I'm really surprised so few have seen it because it's a wonderful little film.

OakDryad Sun 01-May-22 23:43:33

I also remember the prevalence of privet hedges in the 1960s which is where we did a lot of our caterpillar hunting. Nowadays the box hedge is more common and, of course, that has its own voracious caterpillar.

annodomini Sun 01-May-22 23:43:31

If you look closely at a moth, you will find it just as beautiful as a butterfly. It won't 'dive-bomb' you. It's attracted to light and if you get in the way, that's your problem. The only moths I won't tolerate are those little ones whose caterpillars make little holes in my best woollen jumpers, but the Lakeland shop has a fine variety of products for deterring them - no, they don't pay me a commission for the recommendation!

Chestnut Sun 01-May-22 23:26:10

I agree there seem to be less moths and other insects all round which of course is a bad thing. I remember in 1950s London there were privet hedges in the front gardens which were full of caterpillars. We loved holding them and taking them to another bush for a 'holiday'. Never see anything like that on privet hedges now.

OakDryad Sun 01-May-22 23:25:50

Seeing a Hummingbird Hawkmoth is a huge privilege. I volunteered for the RHS for several years and there was always great excitement when one was spotted drinking nectar.

If the moths in the film are Automeris they are pretty widespread though the Americas and feed on a wide variety of tree and shrub leaves.

At primary school, we had a lovely science teacher who inspired us to explore the natural world. A classmate and I would go scouring hedgerows for caterpillars to put in match boxes to show him. Despite giving them a leaf to munch on I think most died before we next saw teacher. sad

Blossoming Sun 01-May-22 22:59:02

Chestnut

This thread is supposed to make you get all emotional when you watch the WHOLE of the video, not just the first bit. I was hoping people would get all warm and fuzzy about moths after seeing it.

I did.

It didn’t.