Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wild Bison re-introduced in Kent's West Blean Woods

(67 Posts)
Elegran Wed 20-Jul-22 13:34:21

Wild Bison Now Roam the UK for First Time in Thousands of Years

gizmodo.com/wild-bison-now-roam-the-uk-for-first-time-in-thousands-1849190075

(West Blean Woods is within the triangle formed by Canterbury, Whitstable and Herne Bay)

Nannagarra Thu 21-Jul-22 11:02:25

Here on the Sefton coast we have red squirrels which venture from the pine woods into our gardens. We are very keen to protect them. If we see a grey, we are asked to report it.
Confined to specific large fields are Herdwick sheep. There are also free to roam GPS-tagged (and super-friendly) cows, often found on the ranges and dunes. Both manage grasses - a conscious policy to allow rare flowers to flourish.
Another programme is to control invasive sea buckthorn. Twenty years ago it was sent to Chester Zoo as a treat for the black rhinos. Any suggestion that the rhinos could be brought here to eat it is met with equal measures of humour and alarm! Nowadays volunteers “buckthorn bash”.

Kim19 Thu 21-Jul-22 11:44:41

Help, please. Don't remember the history. Did they phase out naturally and how long ago? Ta.

Chestnut Thu 21-Jul-22 11:57:43

Kim19 If you're talking about red squirrels, they could not compete with the American greys which were introduced in the Victorian era I think. The greys took all the food and the native reds slowly died out. Very sad. Nannagarra you are very, very lucky to see reds where you live, especially in your garden! They are so rare and precious.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 12:22:47

Callistemon21

What happens when the herd increases?

We have enough problems with wild boar near here!

The three bison introduced to England yesterday are all females, but they will soon be joined by a bull in August. Park rangers expect the bison to breed and multiply, and the park is allowed to have up to 10 animals on site. However, the bison are not totally free to wander—they’re currently confined to just 12 acres. But that will jump up to 123 acres [inside a 1200 acre nature reserve] later in the summer and then more than third of the total park area after that. Unlike in a zoo or other wildlife parks, the bison won’t be given any supplemental food and will just have to graze for themselves.

Ongoing monitoring will track the bison themselves and also their effect on the forest.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 12:25:00

Katie59

It’ll be fine if they stay where they are put, when they stray into your garden they won’t be popular, they are also very dangerous, bulls are aggressive, cows are worse protecting their calves

They are in a fenced-in area of a Nature Reserve.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 12:25:56

Chestnut

Lovely idea but having them roam wild could put lives at risk surely? We are such a crowded country there are few places which are not within reach of residential areas. Once they roam.....they roam!

They are in a fenced-in area of a Nature reserve.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 12:30:41

Kim19

Help, please. Don't remember the history. Did they phase out naturally and how long ago? Ta.

From the article in the original link -
"The British Isles were a very different place some 10,000 years ago. For one thing, the land mass was still connected to mainland Europe. The last ice age was ending, and glaciers were receding. And bison may have been roaming—specifically, a now-extinct species known as the steppe bison. (Even farther back, in the Pleistocene, the forest bison likely made its home in Britain.)The project is centered on forest restoration but is also another chance for the European bison itself, which is globally listed as “Near Threatened” by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature ."

"The species was hunted to extinction in the wild but survived in captivity. Through re-introductions across the continent, the bison have made a recovery, according to the IUCN, and now number more than 6,000 in about 47 free-ranging herds."

Katie59 Thu 21-Jul-22 12:37:06

Elegran

Katie59

It’ll be fine if they stay where they are put, when they stray into your garden they won’t be popular, they are also very dangerous, bulls are aggressive, cows are worse protecting their calves

They are in a fenced-in area of a Nature Reserve.

Hardly roaming England, no more than the Elephants at Longleat

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 14:39:50

Thanks Elegran

Not like the wild boar, then, which really are wild and are prolific breeders.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 14:45:53

I am not picking on those who asked about increasing numbers, expanding territory, invading gardens and so on, BUT I copied all the answers from the (very interesting) link I had posted.

I know we are advised not to click on links from strangers for fear of getting hacked, but not all links are dangerous - and after 11 years on Gransnet, I would like to think that I am not really a stranger.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 14:52:04

We're not going to have herds of bison thundering across the plains of Britain, then!

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 15:06:56

Of course, we can't predict the future. Who knows? Maybe our economy will become so dire that we can't afford to fit them with contraceptive implants, keep the peripheral fence mended, or check the monitoring systen to see whether they are happily munching away at Farmer Brown's cabbages. We'd just have to declare them so numerous that they are no longer protected, and allow them to be hunted, butchered and stowed in people's freezers . . .

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 15:15:18

I realise that bison were originally an indigenous species, as were wolves, but sometimes, when new species are introduced, it can prove to be a disaster. Could the same happen with re-introduction?
The grey squirrel for example, Muntjac deer, American mink, various crustaceans, plants etc.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 15:41:52

Those you mention were never indigenous, so they had no predators or natural diseases etc to keep them in check. I don't know what would keep bison in check, except humans eating them. That wouldn't go down well when the re-introduction probably took a lot of money, time and skill. Not yet anyway - if they threatened to over-run the country things could change.

Witzend Thu 21-Jul-22 15:43:26

MerylStreep

They are fenced into an area.

I hope it’s a very strong fence!

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jul-22 15:45:25

Don't buy a house near the fence!
Imagine being able to look out and see them, though.
It must be quite splendid!

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 15:45:46

Those you mention were never indigenous, so they had no predators or natural diseases etc to keep them in check.
And they either predate or otherwise endanger our native species.

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-22 16:08:55

MissAdventure

Don't buy a house near the fence!
Imagine being able to look out and see them, though.
It must be quite splendid!

I don't think there are any houses within the nature reserve. The nearest will be beyond two fences - the one round the 1200 acre nature reserve reserve and the one round the 123 acre bison enclosure inside the reserve. Belt and braces.

ayse Thu 21-Jul-22 16:25:27

Just a thought. There is a great book called ‘Wilding’ that describes and discusses the changes made on an estate in West Sussex. It’s a fascinating book. It describes the action of cattle on ground, helping to churn the soil, which in itself encourages further changes in the environment and recolonisation by rarer species. It’s a great read as well.

Apparently, pine martins predate grey squirrels but can’t catch the reds. There is also virus (I think) that also only affects grey squirrels. In some areas, the grey population is declining because of these two factors.

I can’t understand why more isn’t done to cull both monkjacks and wild boar. It could provide protein for us humans, if nothing else.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 16:30:29

There is also virus (I think) that also only affects grey squirrels. In some areas, the grey population is declining because of these two factors
Unfortunately, I think it's the red squirrels who succumb to Squirrelpox virus whereas the greys seem carry it but seem immune to it.

Chestnut Thu 21-Jul-22 16:34:34

Good points ayse. Bring on the pine martins and the virus!

And I look forward to roast wild boar or monkjack venison for Sunday lunch. ?

Chestnut Thu 21-Jul-22 16:36:04

Oh dear, just bring on the pine martins then. ?

Chestnut Thu 21-Jul-22 16:38:18

If anyone is in North Wales then please get some bison from the farm shop and let us know what it is like.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 16:41:42

Wild boar sausages are available already!
In shops and available online.

ayse Thu 21-Jul-22 17:57:47

Callistemon21

^There is also virus (I think) that also only affects grey squirrels. In some areas, the grey population is declining because of these two factors^
Unfortunately, I think it's the red squirrels who succumb to Squirrelpox virus whereas the greys seem carry it but seem immune to it.

I’ll have to check it, so apologies if I’m wrong.