Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Ladybirds

(6 Posts)
ShazzaKanazza Sat 19-Nov-22 14:24:33

Has anyone had a lot of ladybirds recently.
My grandson was in our bedroom and he opened the French windows which we have off the room. Anyway I swiftly closed them and my son noticed there were loads of ladybirds around the inside of the doors. I opened them again and wow there were hundreds clustered together in the corners of the inner doors. Has anyone had this trouble.
DH swept them up carefully using a make up brush and put them all out and Iā€™ve sprayed round the doors in the hope they wonā€™t come back. Maybe the confusing weatheršŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I think if they had been spiders Iā€™d have torched the house lol.

Happysexagenarian Sat 19-Nov-22 14:36:15

Haven't seen them this year - yet, but a few years ago we had hundreds of them gathering around the doors and windows. A neighbour said they seek warmth as the weather gets colder and warm air often escapes around doors and windows. Doesn't say much for our double glazing does it! Ladybirds I can live with but spiders.... oh no, No, NOOO!!

Beechnut Sat 19-Nov-22 15:12:40

Not lots but I did notice one on the indoor windowsill earlier this week.

MiniMoon Sat 19-Nov-22 15:32:19

I wondered where they'd all gone ShazzaK, now I know.
I haven't seen a ladybird here all year.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 15:50:12

They come inside out of the cold as they are looking for somewhere to hibernate through the winter.
They are believed to be attracted to each other to do this through smell.

Some of you may be interested in the Ladybird Survey which started in the 1960s.

www.coleoptera.org.uk/coccinellidae/home/

We have posted ladybirds to them (in a matchbox with a blob of banana) when we have been unable to identify particularly odd ladybirds.
I think they are fascinating.

I hope you gently put your ladybirds in a shed or similar to overwinter? A leafy, sheltered dry corner of the garden would do...
They often cluster together in the winter but they are better outside in a safe corner as if we put our heating on they can wake up too early.
šŸ˜’

ShazzaKanazza Sat 19-Nov-22 16:38:52

There were different coloured ones as well they werenā€™t all red. If grandson hadnā€™t opened the doors we would have never known they were there but Iā€™m squeamish so I couldnā€™t leave them.