Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wind power, or the lack of it.

(105 Posts)
M0nica Mon 12-Dec-22 07:30:43

All fine and dandy when the wind blows, but in freezing cold weather like now, which is invariably accompanied by still windless conditions, it is currently only capable of providing us with 3% of the power we need gridwatch.co.uk/ .

If we are going to be carbon neutral in the next few decades, we need to reduce our reliance on wind power and develop other more reliable sources of carbon neutral power production; hydro power, tidal and wave power. These sources of power are all running commercially on a small scale in this country, but we should be focussing on these sources of power that come far closer to running 24/7 in all weathers than wind power can possibly do.

volver3 Wed 19-Apr-23 13:51:41

If you have a stream flowing past your front door a water wheel is much more efficient than a wind turbine a few fields away.

Every little helps, as the supermarket says.

Katie59 Wed 19-Apr-23 07:37:35

volver3

Water wheels are a great idea.

www.heraldscotland.com/news/16966120.reinventing-wheel-historic-water-wheels-making-comeback-scotland/

Sadly, there is no such thing as perpetual motion.

Nothing new under the sun, traditional water wheels need a lot of infrastructure to produce usable power, if you look at the old mills on our rivers the cost or replicating everything would be prohibitive. The cost of solar panels or small wind turbines to produce the same power is far less

Elegran Tue 18-Apr-23 09:47:31

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/10/dutch-trains-100-percent-wind-powered-ns

Elegran Tue 18-Apr-23 09:43:26

Dutch trains now run entirely on wind energy. Why do we spend so much hot air on resisting innovation, and so little money on actually exploiting sources of power?

25Avalon Sat 15-Apr-23 13:28:10

volver3

www.heraldscotland.com/news/16966120.reinventing-wheel-historic-water-wheels-making-comeback-scotland/

Thanks for posting Volver. That’s a really interesting article.

choughdancer Fri 14-Apr-23 14:33:12

Just noticed my grammatical mistake; 'is' not 'are'!

Katie59 Fri 14-Apr-23 09:26:04

Not a good day for renewable only 15%, so lots of gas being used as well as nuclear, it’s going to be several decades before we get a non fossil grid but gas will be available to fill any gaps.

Katie59 Thu 13-Apr-23 12:11:27

12 midday, grid now 70% renewable might get higher by 2pm. with just 16% gas the only fossil fuel used
It’s not often that we get plenty of wind and sunshine together but while it lasts we’ll enjoy it

Hetty58 Thu 13-Apr-23 11:10:09

(Oops - just saw your later comment Katie59)

choughdancer Thu 13-Apr-23 11:06:56

I agree with so many of the posts on here. Yes to the use of all the different sources of non fossil fuelled power; no to nuclear!

As several have pointed out, not every source (say wind power) are appropriate for every area of the UK, but perfect for others.
Surely there is enough scientific evidence by now to show what works and where.

I have had solar panels for a few years, but this years addition of a battery has made a huge difference! Ask all factories, megastores, covered car parks, industrial estates to install solar panels on their roofs.

The local college has a wind turbine which was installed when the old buildings were restored and new ones built. Give an incentive to other new buildings to install them if they are in a good area for wind.

The geothermal solution has great possibilities I feel. Again, new buildings could be required to install them.

Hetty58 Thu 13-Apr-23 11:06:14

Katie59:

'no solar yet' - but what about the solar going back to the grid from my panels?

Ok, it's only a little - but it all adds up. It's very sunny here today, I've used the dishwasher - then the washing machine (both on 'eco' settings) for free. Now, all the power (except that used by the fridge) is being exported.

maddyone Thu 13-Apr-23 10:59:48

There was plenty of wind where I was yesterday. I didn’t go out, I’d have been blown away. I doubt we could just rely on wind though.

volver3 Thu 13-Apr-23 10:52:16

25Avalon Thu 13-Apr-23 10:45:09

How about water wheels? Don’t laugh but these were a great source of sustainable power in the past, and some of those remaining are still used for grinding flour. You store water in a mill pond and run it across the water wheel buckets to make the wheel turn and drive the machinery inside the mill. If you could pump the water back up you could have perpetual motion.

henetha Thu 13-Apr-23 10:33:13

I would rather have a million wind turbines, solar panels, wave power, etc, than another nuclear power station ever. We have not made enough use of renewables. Why doesn't every new house being built have to have solar panels on the roof?
Why have we not made more use of the wave power which surrounds our country.?

Elegran Thu 13-Apr-23 10:32:49

More storage capacity would mean more water to turn the turbines when demand is at its highest.

Elegran Thu 13-Apr-23 10:31:16

Jane71

*The UK has four pumped storage hydro power stations in Scotland and Wales, with a total capacity of 2.8 GW. The operators of Cruachan power station in the Highlands are seeking planning permission to increase its capacity with more catchment and storage.*

But that uses underused electricity through the night, to generate power through the day. It doesn't actually generate power on its own.

It acts like a battery, but without using acid. The energy created when demand is lower is used to put the water into a place where it is ready for gravity to let it drop past the turbines and create instant energy at peak times when most is needed.

Uneven demand means that power is wasted when production is high but demand is low. Storing it keeps it available for when production is the same but demand is soaring.

Storage of energy is as big a problem as producing it.

volver3 Thu 13-Apr-23 10:13:38

Nuclear will kill us all.

Let's not do nuclear.

Katie59 Thu 13-Apr-23 10:12:14

10am now we have solar today we are up to 54% renewable plus nuclear etc thats 80% without fossil fuel

volver3 Thu 13-Apr-23 10:09:21

Think how useful that will be on all the imaginary wind-free days...

Jane71 Thu 13-Apr-23 10:03:07

The UK has four pumped storage hydro power stations in Scotland and Wales, with a total capacity of 2.8 GW. The operators of Cruachan power station in the Highlands are seeking planning permission to increase its capacity with more catchment and storage.

But that uses underused electricity through the night, to generate power through the day. It doesn't actually generate power on its own.

Elegran Thu 13-Apr-23 09:55:35

Hoolyrood? Let's all hold a Hooly!

Elegran Thu 13-Apr-23 09:54:51

multicolourswapshop

I’ve plenty of wind power wink

Plenty of hot air generated in the Houses of Parliament, Hoolyrood and the Council offices, too.

Elegran Thu 13-Apr-23 09:53:41

We are surrounded by sources of power. Sun, wind, rain, tide, hamsters scurrying round their wheels . . .

These weather-generated sources are each at their peak in different circumstances and places. There is no point in taking one source, like wind-power, and saying that it won't be enough on windless days. We have to develop ALL the ways of making electricity, find and use the most efficient way to tap them, and then amalgamate them all into one system which had draw on whichever is most productive at any given time, and w

Hamsters keep running round their wheels at all hours of the day and night (we had to take them out of the kids' bedrooms at night for that reason or they'd have been up for hours watching them play) so maybe installing a cage and wheel in every newbuild could power the lights? How about all the gyms filled with sweating body-builders lifting weights and pulling on machinery? Commecting them up would generate quite a bit - maybe keep the fridges and freezers working for the cold drinks in the gym's cafe?

multicolourswapshop Thu 13-Apr-23 09:44:14

I’ve plenty of wind power wink