Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Snow bomb or spring?

(15 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Tue 31-Jan-23 14:55:45

The wierdy pages that pop up unasked for on my phone keep telling me that in February we will experience a " snow bomb" and nature will drop a mountain load of snow on all our heads. But the BBC weather people just say it might be a bit windy but will be getting warmer and never mention snow at all. However the divine Thomas Shaffernacker (?) does seem to have a secretive smile on his face, as if he knows something we don't. So , is it snow shovel out or gardening gloves?

Norah Tue 31-Jan-23 14:59:50

Hoping for a huge snowfall. May not happen, but we can hope. smile

Joane123 Tue 31-Jan-23 15:01:55

Well I am hoping it will be gardening gloves. It is definitely milder today and a feeling of spring in the air.

AGAA4 Tue 31-Jan-23 15:07:21

Please no more snow!

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 15:08:05

Lizbethann
Someone mentioned this to me yesterday and I hadn't heard anything about it. However, she assured me it was news and not old news from the previous snow bomb in North America.

However, I still haven't heard Tomasz or anyone else mention it.

There was a programme on last night about the winter and spring of 2018, the Beast from the East then combining with Storm Emma.

🤞 it is just a rumour.

Jaxjacky Tue 31-Jan-23 15:33:56

All to do with the polar vortex, as in 2018, being denied by most credible meteorologists.

Casdon Tue 31-Jan-23 15:37:35

There’s nothing in the weather forecast, the long range one I just looked at goes until 12th February. It’s been fit to garden the last couple of days, I’m hoping it stays that way for as long as possible,

M0nica Tue 31-Jan-23 15:40:30

I have seen several mentions, one in the front page of one of the dailies, not sure which one, I just read the front pages as shown online on BBC news. I also read it elsewhere around Christmas time.

Baggs Tue 31-Jan-23 15:47:07

February is often the coldest month in northern parts of UK. Sometimes the coldest blasts are in March. I've never understood why people expect spring warmth to start so early. We (speakers of English) even have a pithy saying: "Ne'er cast a cloot till may be oot", cloot being a layer of clothing such as your vest and "may" refers to may (hawthorn) blossom which is usually out in April, May or even June depending on one's latitude.

Redhead56 Tue 31-Jan-23 16:18:33

I raked over the veg patch today as it was mild and dry not something I usually do in January. I hate the snow and ice it stops me doing anything and having to stay in.

VioletSky Tue 31-Jan-23 16:48:22

I always read those articles because I am invested in any idea that I might be snowed in...

Love being snowed in, much better than being snowed out.

Anyway... after the headline THUNDERSNOW or SNOWMAGGEDEN etc it usually says "The Met office predicts slightly milder conditions than average" or something

So I am always disappointed

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 17:15:47

Baggs

February is often the coldest month in northern parts of UK. Sometimes the coldest blasts are in March. I've never understood why people expect spring warmth to start so early. We (speakers of English) even have a pithy saying: "Ne'er cast a cloot till may be oot", cloot being a layer of clothing such as your vest and "may" refers to may (hawthorn) blossom which is usually out in April, May or even June depending on one's latitude.

You sound like my Mum 😁

Yes, I am wearing my vest and won't be prised out of it until at least the may comes out.

SueDonim Tue 31-Jan-23 17:21:37

If you’re in Scotland Windy Wilson is your man for weather. He’s an amateur forecaster and much more accurate than the BBC! He regularly has massive rants about ridiculous tabloid headlines regarding Snowmageddons etc. 😂

www.facebook.com/windywilson.weather.roads/?locale=en_GB

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 15:32:07

The storks are returning to their nests at Knepp and beginning their spring dance.

M0nica Sat 04-Feb-23 18:51:31

I was out in the garden today, starting to clean, tidy and sort it out after 18 months of builders, then landscaping contractors, digging stuff up, dumping materials on the grass for months and generally marmalising it. the birds are sining spring songs and the weed are growing enthusistically.