Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

European Hornets

(4 Posts)
eddiecat78 Wed 14-Jun-23 14:20:44

Is anyone else being bothered by these? We're in the south west and I've evicted 3 from the house recently. Apparently they are less aggressive than ordinary wasps but I wouldn't want to put that to the test! They are huge! I'd never seen one until we moved here from the Midlands

Joseann Wed 14-Jun-23 14:47:20

Gosh yes. We had them in Devon at the end of May when the weather warmed and out come the barbecue. I thought I had escaped that danger by coming over to France in June, but instead I am trying to avoid the peril of loads of jellyfish in the sea and on the beach.
Both due to climate change no doubt.
Either way, I'm very wary.

Nannashirlz Wed 02-Aug-23 17:47:30

The ones here aren’t as bad, years ago lived in Germany and they were huge in hot summer we had to keep windows shut they would bomb our windows and were protected so you couldn’t kill them not that we got a chance the swam was huge when the man came out he sprayed them and let us look at the nest it was six foot. I do have a photo somewhere because I took a picture lol only time I had seen one but I’ve never forgotten it. Quite scary at the time

maddyone Wed 02-Aug-23 17:54:06

I did read that the European hornets have been imported to the UK. I haven’t seen one. Mind you it’s pretty damp and all insects and crawly things seem to disappear in damp weather.