Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Where Is Greta Thunberg These Days?

(143 Posts)
Crumbly159 Sun 09-Aug-26 18:19:20

Throughout our roller-coaster of a summer, the wildfires, tsunami's, typhoons and one weather-related crisis after another she has been conspicuous by her absence.

Which is very odd. She once addressed the United Nations and collected standing ovations.

Now? Is she bored with the climate crisis?

Tuliptree Wed 12-Aug-26 22:01:01

So now we’ll start criticising GT because of who she isn’t . Nice

JenniRen Wed 12-Aug-26 21:58:46

If someone rants I switch off.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 21:56:38

Oh yes!
Me too.
Far more my cup of tea.

JenniRen Wed 12-Aug-26 21:54:12

MissAdventure

I can take her or leave her.

I'd rather listen to Sir David Attenborough and Chris Packham.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 21:50:41

I can take her or leave her.

Galaxy Wed 12-Aug-26 21:50:38

Thanks maybee, it is just people are using the term as if it is a thing.

JenniRen Wed 12-Aug-26 21:49:50

Plevey08, I think her parents were worried at first and tried to discourage her because she skipped school to protest but in the end her father supported and helped her.
It must have been a difficult decision as a parent.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-26 21:49:15

Galaxy

Do people mean selective mutism. Selective autism isn't a clinical diagnosis as far as I am aware.

She amended it to selective mutism.

Galaxy Wed 12-Aug-26 21:44:59

Do people mean selective mutism. Selective autism isn't a clinical diagnosis as far as I am aware.

Tuliptree Wed 12-Aug-26 21:32:57

fancythat

Those are not superpowers. That is fear.

I think both your last posts show profound ignorance of her conditions and sound cruel and harsh.

fancythat Wed 12-Aug-26 21:30:29

Those are not superpowers. That is fear.

fancythat Wed 12-Aug-26 21:30:09

She also has OCD and selective autism

Those are both anxiety disorders, as I understand it.

No thanks.

Maremia Wed 12-Aug-26 19:06:38

Thanks Plevey, for that information.

Plevey08 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:59:19

Selective mutism

Plevey08 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:58:36

She also has OCD and selective autism. She thinks of them as her superpowers. Speaks only when she thinks it's necessary. The autism and OCd give her a laser like focus. Bloody amazing in a majority neurotypical world.

Plevey08 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:41:25

From what I've read/ heard about her in the past, her parents, especially her father, encouraged her when she became greatly interested in climate change. She had a real passion to get out there to try to get people to understand what is happening. I hear she has autism, and yes some autistic people can be passionate about a topic, interest etc. Her father seeing her passion supported her. What's not to like about that? Pretty amazing IMO. Many people have been irritated with her, those in Sweden gave her a mixed response. I think, despite her social difficulties she found the.courage to stand, and want others to hear her deeply felt fear of climate change. Bravo to her and her family supporting her.

Tuliptree Wed 12-Aug-26 15:37:39

Galaxy

Nope I think those who attend the pro palestine marches have made this country more divided and certainly more anti semitic. I support her right to protest and my right to say I dont view her as one of the good guys.

Wow - we’ve been on a downward trajectory since long before those marches (imo).

Galaxy Wed 12-Aug-26 14:33:04

Nope I think those who attend the pro palestine marches have made this country more divided and certainly more anti semitic. I support her right to protest and my right to say I dont view her as one of the good guys.

Oldnproud Wed 12-Aug-26 14:30:33

I get the impression that a small number of those with nothing but nasty comments to make about GT still think that women, younger ones in particular, should stay indoors, remain ladylike at all times, and never express strong opinions on anything political and certainly not get actively involved, however passionately they feel about what they see as a huge and very important issue..

And as for the pearl clutching regarding the language she sometimes uses , well, I'm lost for words. But luckily, she isn't.

Isthepopecatholic Wed 12-Aug-26 13:55:54

What a wonderful young woman she is. If only more of us were active like her.

nanna8 Wed 12-Aug-26 13:24:22

Take offence, your prerogative but I won’t change my mind.

Tuliptree Wed 12-Aug-26 12:00:03

Agree MayBee - she’s a 23 year old. young woman. Why is it acceptable to call her a brat?

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-26 11:56:28

nanna8

She is a brat but at least she is putting her brattishness to good use, or was, until she started supporting Hamas.

Sympathising with what’s happening to the people in Gaza is not supporting Hamas. It’s showing compassion for fellow human beings. Imo And I think it’s offensive calling her a brat…

nanna8 Wed 12-Aug-26 11:45:04

She is a brat but at least she is putting her brattishness to good use, or was, until she started supporting Hamas.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-26 11:17:34

Wyllow3

Passionate, can be single minded, and do no harm, always has its place in society.

That’s my take on her, too. Thanks for wording it in a way that I was trying to. She sees through all the imo.