Passionate, can be single minded, and do no harm, always has its place in society.
Good Morning Sunday 4th October 2026
Anyone watched Blame and saw the end?
Alphabetical Fauna (mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects etc.)
Throughout our roller-coaster of a summer, the wildfires, tsunami's, typhoons and one weather-related crisis after another she has been conspicuous by her absence.
Which is very odd. She once addressed the United Nations and collected standing ovations.
Now? Is she bored with the climate crisis?
Passionate, can be single minded, and do no harm, always has its place in society.
I think that being on the autistic spectrum means that Greta sees things in a far more realistic way than many people.
Well said Eloethan.
Let's face it, for some people whatever she does will be wrong. They make sarcastic remarks when she speaks about climate change and say she is too young and inexperienced to lecture people about such subjects. Then, when she is less vocal about that subject because she feels the Palestinian situation should, for the time being, take priority, she is criticised for that too.
At least she bothers about what is happening in the world, rather than posing for photos on the internet and posting inane stuff.
I find the reality of climate change and environmental damage much more 'irritating' than one young activist.
JenniferEccles
Maybe she has grown up at long last, with enough self awareness now to realise what an irritating little brat she’s been.
So trying to bring awareness to climate change and the damage we are doing to our planet makes her an 'irritating little brat'?
Who actually cares about Greeting Greta?!
Tuliptree
Not a good look - a few old women having a sarcastic go at a brave, idealistic young woman who gives a damn about the world their grandchildren will be living in when they’re long gone.
Agree. We need more like her for the sake of our descendants.
Funny thing I said just this to my DH the other day , that she is very quiet these days. With all the extremes of weather and earthquakes the world has had recently I thought it might make her come to the forefront again. Perhaps she is having the life she should have had a few years ago. I can't say I am a fan though, but I don't like extremist.
She appeared to be passionate about the cause, but I always wondered how genuine she really was. A lot of it may have been spoon-fed to her, it often felt performative.
I'm surprised a new young face has not come forward to major on this issue.
paddyann54
All these grans who think she’s a hypocrite…..what about your beloved royals? They are constantly on planes and helicopters and even on shoots!
Then they make wee videos telling us how they support wildlife ….and the climate change movement.!
To add insult to injury the taxpayer keeps their coffers topped up along with the emergency services and charities that they charge exorbitant rents to.
Such a hypocritical bunch of parasites you won’t ever see anywhere else.
I,d bet that at least some of you stand at roadsides to wave at them!
They do say you can fool some of the people …..most of the time.
Yep agree with that. Can’t do with any of them.
.
You're correct with alot that you write
But....
GT hasn't emerged overall as someone people admire. Overall she came across initally to most as a naive silly girl, and became the butt of alot of derision and comedy.
Now she's just a naive silly woman whom most people have grown to feel rather sorry for (whilst still finding her tiresome and irritating)
WithNobsOnIt
She is like a chameleon and now just seems to champion whatever is flavour of the month.
You know that how? You follow her in detail month by month? So perhaps you could tell us what flavours she was following in April, May and June? TIA
She is like a chameleon and now just seems to champion whatever is flavour of the month.
How absolutely patronising
Grannygravy13
Yes at the "concert" in Ireland - and, pictured in the intense heat, wearing a heavy knitted tri'colour balaclava and a keffiyeh!!
There's always been something very sad and solitary about this (now) woman.
Encouraged and badly mentored by her selfish attention seeking parents (so they had their 15-,minutes of fame) what an awful life she's had for the past decade.
I somehow feel that she'll never be happy and have a fulfilling life.
So sad really.
.
Who has ever said she was “perfect”? But of course people can criticise her looks/ lifestyle/ music choices etc but some will use it to criticise the message
vegansrock
So shes not Miss Perfect. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take the climate crisis seriously.
Of course we take the climate crisis seriously, very few don't. That doesn't mean any criticism of an action she has taken should be forbidden or hidden from sight so as to perpetuate the myth that she is perfect. Do you ignore wrong doings by everyone you admire or can you accept 'feet of clay' sometimes?
So shes not Miss Perfect. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take the climate crisis seriously.
There’s a new series on Prime called The Westies which is about the troubles and features the music of Knee Cap. I only realised they were Irish by listening to this weeks Must Watch. They pointed out that most young people will know nothing about the troubles but will learn about it if they watch the series but also that they could also learn about it from watching Derry Girls ( which I still haven’t watched). I think Greta is an admirable young woman; I’d be so proud of her if I was her granny.
So while endorsing her message and drive, is it just me that was really disappointed in her for knowingly causing the two displaced crew members (as per my post of Monday at 15:36) to fly to New York instead of her and her father? That was just offloading their carbon footprint onto someone else and not eliminating it. To me that was dishonest as she was lauded for doing a 15 day sea trip rather than take the easy way out and flying.
Tuliptree
Not a good look - a few old women having a sarcastic go at a brave, idealistic young woman who gives a damn about the world their grandchildren will be living in when they’re long gone.
Well she doesn’t care that much Tuliptree as she’s conspicuously quiet on climate change although arguably she had some influence there, unlike her banging on about the Middle East and the iniquities of Israel. Interestingly she refused to watch the Israeli film about the Hamas atrocities committed on Oct 7 which started the current war.
👏
Quite right Tulip tree! Someone willing to put her head above the parapets! Climate change is with us now, very little proper leadership exists to help mitigate the effects. Good for Greta, as she pointed out, she's just a girl wanting to highlight the problem, those in positions of power are the ones who need to solve it. We need to keep up her good work or we won't survive what is coming, for most of us it may even be too late but she did her best. I hope she's having fun at the concerts and whatever she's doing but I'm sure she's also there because she has genuine ideas to share and I tend to agree with what she says. Sad that people can't listen and understand her I strad of mocking and putting her down.
.
Why are some women so bitchy about other women and girls who do not conform to the received norm I wonder? It happens regularly on GNet threads.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.