Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Where Is Greta Thunberg These Days?

(143 Posts)
Crumbly159 Sun 09-Aug-26 18:19:20

Throughout our roller-coaster of a summer, the wildfires, tsunami's, typhoons and one weather-related crisis after another she has been conspicuous by her absence.

Which is very odd. She once addressed the United Nations and collected standing ovations.

Now? Is she bored with the climate crisis?

MollyNew Mon 10-Aug-26 14:11:08

Bukkie

I am just grateful we are not seeing the po faced, foul mouthed brat on the news.

Nice to see some considered, measured debate on GN today. Throwing insults around about someone you disagree with says more about you than your target.

Syracute Mon 10-Aug-26 14:10:50

Bukkie

Luckygirl13 I would be ashamed if she was my daughter not proud. She is foul mouthed, obnoxious, rude and a hypocrite telling us all about climate change whilst galavanting around the world in planes and fibre glass boats. I initially gave her a bit of leeway thinking she was 13 or 14 (because she looks so young) and it was teenage enthusiasm but was recently gobsmacked to see she was in her 20s. She should have grown out of resorting to swearing and sulking to get attention by now.

Just an ugly remark about a woman who is making a positive influence in the world and speaks for many here on this thread.
Climate change is real. If you don’t find Greta credible there are many scientists who back her claims up.
Sadly, Trump gained too much influence and is believed by too many people who are not well educated. I hope his successor turns back this sad belief that there is no climate change.,

Tuliptree Mon 10-Aug-26 14:06:26

Bukkie

Luckygirl13 I would be ashamed if she was my daughter not proud. She is foul mouthed, obnoxious, rude and a hypocrite telling us all about climate change whilst galavanting around the world in planes and fibre glass boats. I initially gave her a bit of leeway thinking she was 13 or 14 (because she looks so young) and it was teenage enthusiasm but was recently gobsmacked to see she was in her 20s. She should have grown out of resorting to swearing and sulking to get attention by now.

Gish you sound even nicer. If you really knew anything at all about her, you’d know how old she is because of how young she was when she first came to public attention. Young person swears - OMG 😱😱

Tuliptree Mon 10-Aug-26 14:04:17

Bukkie

I am just grateful we are not seeing the po faced, foul mouthed brat on the news.

Ooooohhhh you sound nice .

Bukkie Mon 10-Aug-26 14:03:49

Luckygirl13 I would be ashamed if she was my daughter not proud. She is foul mouthed, obnoxious, rude and a hypocrite telling us all about climate change whilst galavanting around the world in planes and fibre glass boats. I initially gave her a bit of leeway thinking she was 13 or 14 (because she looks so young) and it was teenage enthusiasm but was recently gobsmacked to see she was in her 20s. She should have grown out of resorting to swearing and sulking to get attention by now.

Bukkie Mon 10-Aug-26 13:50:02

I am just grateful we are not seeing the po faced, foul mouthed brat on the news.

JenniRen Mon 10-Aug-26 10:55:18

Stansgran

I wonder how she got to Waterford. Not swimming I presume. The connotations of kneecap,Ireland and remembering the troubles is not pleasant.

Greta is too young to remember what kneecapping really means.
What a dreadful name for a group of musicians.

Maremia Mon 10-Aug-26 10:51:08

She was very badly treated by the Israeli authorities who arrested her and the other protesters from the flottila.
Assault does have an effect on how women go forward.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-26 10:35:00

Not sure I understand your remark at all

nanna8 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:21:05

Half of us would be dead if that happened!

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-26 09:21:08

Another nasty retort
She followed what she thought was right, a big pity more don’t

nanna8 Mon 10-Aug-26 09:18:28

I expect she is flying round the world being an annoying hypocrite.

Farmor15 Mon 10-Aug-26 09:01:59

It's very easy to get to Ireland by ferry- no need to fly!

Leelaylo Mon 10-Aug-26 08:56:10

Still jetting around the world then ....

Stansgran Mon 10-Aug-26 08:51:27

I wonder how she got to Waterford. Not swimming I presume. The connotations of kneecap,Ireland and remembering the troubles is not pleasant.

Greenfinch Mon 10-Aug-26 08:42:24

So often I agree with BlueBelle’s comments and I certainly do here. I say well done to Greta whatever she is doing now.

25Avalon Mon 10-Aug-26 08:39:03

I think it’s net Zero that’s gone out of fashion.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 10-Aug-26 08:31:25

Tuliptree

Not a good look - a few old women having a sarcastic go at a brave, idealistic young woman who gives a damn about the world their grandchildren will be living in when they’re long gone.

So much judgement. So sad to see.

Youth is for idealism, making mistakes and building our ideas.

Be kinder folks.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-26 07:55:56

Good grief tworedroses what a horrible remark
At least she was prepared to open her mouth and say something and most of what she said is proving true
Maybe she’s just had enough of people like you and constantly being harassed Perhaos she’s working from the background maybe she needs a break who knows but at least she had a voice and used it

ViceVersa Mon 10-Aug-26 07:34:45

MT62

vickymeldrew

Greta was photographed at a concert given by KneeCap. She was wearing a balaclava in the colours of the Irish flag with a Palestian keffiyeh scarf.
Looked a bit hot to me !

Why the Irish flag?

KneeCap are Irish.

Wyllow3 Sun 09-Aug-26 23:33:02

Everyday, terrible reminders of climate change. The heat has troubled many, and we live in the relatively moderate UK.

All who have taken part have their place, and she has been at times inspiring: she has flaws..dont we all?

Luckygirl3 Sun 09-Aug-26 23:28:04

I think there are some rather harsh comments here! I would be proud if she was my DD.

Tworedroses Sun 09-Aug-26 22:38:04

Horrible brat. Glad she’s gone.

Wyllow3 Sun 09-Aug-26 22:30:50

Autumncolours

Agree tuliptree.

Me too.

MT62 Sun 09-Aug-26 22:12:27

vickymeldrew

Greta was photographed at a concert given by KneeCap. She was wearing a balaclava in the colours of the Irish flag with a Palestian keffiyeh scarf.
Looked a bit hot to me !

Why the Irish flag?