Gransnet forums

Site stuff

name changing

(9 Posts)
jangly Mon 27-Jun-11 15:35:01

I don't like name changing in the ordinary way of posting. In the end you don't know who you are talking to. I can see the need if you are posting something that causes you embarrassment.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jun-11 11:58:07

Thanks for your input Magsie - we'll definitely take this on board and think about ways we could make it easier for people to talk about sensitive issues.

Magsie Mon 27-Jun-11 10:42:25

Just resurrected this thread to see what the current feeling is on name-changing.
I haven't completed my profile (although I would like to do so) because I am worried about being identified in real life when I contribute to a sensitive thread. This is an open forum and I wouldn't like to give out information about family members.
I can see the reasons for not allowing name changing, I just wish there was some way of remaining anonymous on occasions.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-May-11 15:09:06

No you're right, we decided not to allow namechanging on Gransnet, because we want people to be able to build up relationships while the community is being established and to avoid confusion. If you would like to change your name for a particular reason, do send an email to [email protected] and we'll see what we can do.

Divawithattitude Tue 17-May-11 09:42:06

Its there in the rules and regs, although I can't recall the wording.

Notsogrand Mon 16-May-11 21:48:45

If we can't change, perhaps GN HQ can explain why? There must be a reason.

glassortwo Mon 16-May-11 21:46:07

Dont think you can over here, think it may be a good idea though!

jimswifein1964 Mon 16-May-11 21:41:29

I dont think we can change.

bettyboop Mon 16-May-11 20:47:33

I have tried to name change the same way as on Mumsnet but my name is in feint type and it won't let me change it.
Am I doing it wrong or aren't we allowed to namechange on here?
I wanted to post on a thread but don't want to be recognised in RL.