A lot more adverts recently.

(142 Posts)
j08 Sat 16-Mar-13 09:40:28

What does that random string of letters/numbers up there mean? confused

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 23-Mar-13 17:36:53

Can never be too sure with words on the screen wink

Hope you're having a good weekend and it's not too cold where you are <brr>

j08 Sat 23-Mar-13 13:30:53

(I was only joking about not posting anything sensitive. I don't really think GN is being hacked! blush) #just kiddingaround

Thank you for the reply. smile

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 23-Mar-13 12:58:16

j08

Kat never did tell us what was going on. I think no one should post anything at all sensitive over the weekend.

Tech have been trying to work out what's wrong, but they can't seem to replicate the issue confused

It might just be an error with the ad - it shouldn't affect your account. If anyone comes across the random string of letters again, would you be able to take a screenshot of it and email it to us at [email protected]?

Elegran Sat 23-Mar-13 10:52:30

Shysal I know nothing about touch screens - The most up-to-date thing I have is a wireless mouse (very handy, except that because it is not connected to the laptop it gets its power from a battery - which was dead this morning so I had to ransack the house for a replacement before I could log in. Couldn't even revert to the finger-pad thingy because I had turned that off to stop it twitching when ever I brushed my hand over it by mistake)

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:47:18

Oh yes! It's probably just a cookie doing whatever cookies do.

#boring

shysal Fri 22-Mar-13 22:43:48

Thanks Elegran, my computer knowledge is very liimited. Do you know how I would do that on a touch screen?

Elegran Fri 22-Mar-13 21:46:43

shysal I assume you do know that if you want to capture the whole screen for posterity, you press a key on your PC/laptop labelled "Print Screen" or "Prt Sc" ? You can then paste it from the clipboard into any graphics programme, like Paint, and read the numbers off that were about to vanish.

Ignore me if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

Elegran Fri 22-Mar-13 21:42:35

I think it must be some kind of reference number which sends the advert selector off to find the right adverts for you personally, and once it has done that it disappears.
Is it the same each time it comes up, or does it change each time?

I Googled the one you posted, ana but Google said it could not find it, so it is not the name of a virus - someone somewhere has mentioned all of those somewhere on the net.

shysal Fri 22-Mar-13 21:36:09

I can't see them any more. They appeared when I clicked on 'I'm on' on my tablet. I tried to copy and paste but couldn't do it. I have only done it with urls before, so maybe I was getting it wrong. I just touched and held - is that right? It highlighted but didn't give the option to cut/paste etc. What is the equivalent of right click on a touch pad? I have changed to laptop now but can't see the letters at all. The sequence began the same as Ana's but was not the same each time for me and were sometimes one line long and sometimes 2 lines.
The thick plottens!

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:40:39

Oh! I did some extra clicking. Found page source. Comes out very long then.

Cari has got her hands full. #gasmansbeen

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:38:33

Oh. Mine came out a longer than that. confused

Ana Fri 22-Mar-13 20:30:34

I did copy and paste it! It's up there ^(a few posts)

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:20:59

Shy should do it as well.

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:20:07

I think you should copy and paste it. So that we can check that is the same one.

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:14:26

Cari is probably doing Twitter. -- She usually is--. Perhaps we could get a message through to her.

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:12:33

Kat never did tell us what was going on. I think no one should post anything at all sensitive over the weekend.

Ana Fri 22-Mar-13 20:07:29

I'm not that worried really! grin

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:00:40

We've got no one we can phone. hmm

Ana Fri 22-Mar-13 19:58:37

I thought that, about the weekend....hmm

j08 Fri 22-Mar-13 19:54:26

OMG!!! Just when I've got rid of it. This is weird.

AND it's the weekend when there's no one around to sort it out. Just like when I had it. Hacker?! shock

Ana Fri 22-Mar-13 19:45:59

Oh I see! grin I thought it must be a computer virus thingy...blush

Elegran Fri 22-Mar-13 19:44:07

It isn't a thing. It is said when someone catches a cold or something from someone else - is smitten by it, I suppose. Not sure whether it is a Scottish/Fife expression or not. The genuine Fifers and other teuchters will know.

annodomini Fri 22-Mar-13 19:36:08

I suppose if everyone used Adblock plus, the advertisers would give up on G'net! But I do.

Ana Fri 22-Mar-13 19:33:38

Smit?? What's a smit Elegran? confused
Is it dangerous...?

Elegran Fri 22-Mar-13 19:28:13

You've got the smit, Ana Shysal Has Jo been sneezing near you?