Gransnet forums

Site stuff

The New Granny's Survival Guide

(17 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Jun-13 17:19:23

Ta-dah! This is by way of announcing that we (ie gransnetters) are about to become, collectively, an author.

We have pulled together the VAST wisdom on our forums into what Russell Brand would call a booky-wooky, which Vermilion are publishing in October.

It's going to be called The New Granny's Survival Guide, by Gransnet: everything you need to know to be the best gran.

We hope that it's going to be funny, charming and full of insight and useful information. A bit like us (collectively), in fact.

So we hope everyone will help spread the word.

It's going to be a good autumn for books because The Book of Bedtime Stories by Mumsnet and Gransnet is also coming out in time for Christmas.

We hope everyone will be thrilled by and proud of having produced both wine

Tegan Tue 04-Jun-13 17:21:38

Oh good; so we get to share the royalties wink!

petallus Tue 04-Jun-13 18:12:21

Yes, I feel rather proud.

j08 Tue 04-Jun-13 18:49:30

OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it's been well vetted. #untolddamage

j08 Tue 04-Jun-13 19:50:26

A whole book ???!!!

From stuff on here.

I'll bet Geraldine wrote it.

j08 Tue 04-Jun-13 19:52:20

or Janet Ellis

(That little girl off of Blue Peter)

j08 Tue 04-Jun-13 19:54:05

"the modern gran is worlds away from the little old biddy stereotype."

I'm not. hmm

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Jun-13 20:30:01

VERY well vetted grin

bluebell Tue 04-Jun-13 20:46:26

Everything you need to know to be the best gran ....purleezze - nothing about our political/ religious spats ?

MiceElf Tue 04-Jun-13 20:57:11

Bluebell, perhaps we could write the unauthorised version grin

FlicketyB Wed 05-Jun-13 08:23:05

The problem is, for every situation Gransnetters have been successful/unsuccessful doing completely opposite things, becoming involved and stepping right back, saying and not saying, indulging and not indulging.

The only advice I can think of is 'Play it by ear'

j08 Wed 05-Jun-13 09:37:11

I like the little old biddy stereotype! There should be more of us!

j08 Wed 05-Jun-13 09:39:29

I wonder if the book has gleaned information from the questions Geraldine puts up every so often, asking for opinions. Or whether all the threads have been gone over with a fine tooth comb in search of possible money making literary material.

smile

Movedalot Wed 05-Jun-13 12:54:17

I hope it is good for our image, fed up with the 'old' 'out of touch' type labels. Want it to show that we are financially savvy, IT capable, fit, healthy and ready to run the country!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 31-Jul-13 17:11:35

Movedalot - that is precisely the point we are making (we figured it was about time someone told it as it is)

And j08 - a VERY fine toothcomb <weeps at memory>

Anne58 Wed 31-Jul-13 17:24:39

I don't think any of my ramblings contributions will be of any help to anyone, unless of course they are looking for advice on coffee machines, mad cats or underwear malfunctions.

(Not to mention the recent wheelie bin incident) blush

FlicketyB Thu 01-Aug-13 07:36:00

The little old biddy stereotype was never that common anyway. DM, DMiL, DGMs certainly didn't fit the old Biddy stereotype. I have seen a photo of one GGM and heard about the other and they weren't old biddys either.