Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Please could the Silent Majority...

(121 Posts)
j08 Sat 21-Sep-13 14:57:56

...start posting something. Because you are doing fuck all good nothing to the benefit of Gransnet just sitting there reading this crap. smile

Aka Sat 21-Sep-13 23:12:52

Absent you remind me of Margot Leadbetter grin

j08 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:13:49

Hello Absent. smile

Aka Sat 21-Sep-13 23:14:16

And nobody believes there are 15,000 members....do they? shock

harrigran Sat 21-Sep-13 23:36:00

jingl sometimes you are a right royal pain in the bum but it would be a boring forum without you grin

j08 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:46:02

I'm asleep. Zzzzzzzzz

absent Sun 22-Sep-13 06:28:42

Aka I may need to report that post as deliberately offensive – and me with my flowery wellies, compost bin and courgette seeds. There were 15,000 members over a year ago, according to GNHQ and many more have joined since then – unless you want to call them liars…

Hello j08 smile You know very well that I have no sense of humour, but I should add, it didn't seem to me that anyone else's funny bone had been tickled.

Zengran Sun 22-Sep-13 07:34:26

I love reading all the posts, just often feel that I have nothing to add, or that what I would have said has already been added. I do "lurk" a lot, I admit and do not join in on the more confrontational issues as I am just not confident enough to do so!! Some of us (me!) are just gentler souls.
blush

Greatnan Sun 22-Sep-13 07:45:20

Jingle, we old hands know you have a tendency to post 'jokey' comments, but anybody who was new to the forum might very well be put off posting by this thread.

Aka Sun 22-Sep-13 07:58:09

Depends on your definition of a 'member'. There must be a large percentage who have registered, looked round the site but never log in on a regular basis or ever again for various reasons eg forgotten passwords, nothing catches their interest, not enough time, scared away..

I'd be interested to know how many active members there are. By active I mean log in at least once a week perhaps. Does GNHQ have access to this information or do they simply use registration numbers, in which case those who've changed names count as more than one.

Nice too see you Zengran

I have no problems with lurkers but do think the suggestion of a 'like' button would help those too shy to post at least have a voice.

Kiora Sun 22-Sep-13 08:05:52

I'm new here and I'm scared. Most of my posts will be banal mainly because unless something horrible or wonderful is happening to me or those I love my life is mostly banal. Take today i'v had a terrible nights sleep and sleep is precious to me now. Since the menopause I can only manage 6 hours at the most. My sweaty snoring husband has kept me awake. I'v told him to wear p.js because it soaks up the sweat. Years ago a sweaty naked man keeping me awake would have been welcome but no more.Those days are long gone. I think he snores on purpose to get back at me for insisting on the p.js and not being keen on naked men. Ps I can really swear I was once told I should have a degree in the subject. I can link every swear and rude word together into one massive word and together with my Liverpool accent it sounds amazing. I carnt reveal it though not because I don't want to offend you gentler granetters but my spelling is terrible..... Sorry. Now for a cup of tea and a good rub of intensive arnica gel.

absent Sun 22-Sep-13 08:11:14

Kiora If he's asleep, he isn't doing anything deliberately, even snoring. Mr absent is a master snorer. I just hit him.

Aka Sun 22-Sep-13 08:16:46

Kiora don't you have a spare bedroom?

j08 Sun 22-Sep-13 08:37:31

Absent the posters involved at the time seemed to share in the fun. I never dreamed this thread would be allowed to run! grin Who knows the working of Kat' s HQ' s minds! wink

I think there is every chance that Gransnet will flourish, in spite of me. smile

Mmmwah!

j08 Sun 22-Sep-13 08:47:46

kiaora let the poor bugger sleep naked! Get a towelling underblanket to soak up the sweat. And get a lighter duvet. If you get chilly you will then be glad of his warmth. A gentle nudge usually works for me when mine snores, but I am told by the whole family that I am the champion another in this house. smile

j08 Sun 22-Sep-13 08:49:14

Kindle fire alert! That should have read "snorer" not "other"

feetlebaum Sun 22-Sep-13 09:00:58

Does anyone else feel there is perhaps too much divine sensitivity being wielded by some posters? Too much pearl-clutching?

Gertcha!

j08 Sun 22-Sep-13 09:14:19

grin at pearl clutching

annodomini Sun 22-Sep-13 10:10:48

It is interesting that when a thread touches a nerve 'lurkers' will become posters. I know it is not permitted to write about another thread, but I have just been reading the posts on the 'long distance granny' one and a significant number of those posters do not habitually chip in on other threads. That's what the 'silent majority' is doing, J08 - holding their fire until they can make a useful contribution.

Tegan Sun 22-Sep-13 10:18:07

Kiora; if it's any consolation I have a problem with people who sweat a lot sleeping naked so I'm relieved that you mentioned it [it's not something I've ever been able to slip into everyday conversation to ask other peoples opinion] but the subject has been raised in the Tegan household I the past [and ignored sad].

petallus Sun 22-Sep-13 10:32:21

I would hate sleeping next to a sweating man.

I could cope with one who gently perspired though, especially if he wasn't sleeping.

Eloethan Sun 22-Sep-13 10:46:52

petallus grin

j08 Sun 22-Sep-13 11:15:21

Norty!!! shock

grin

Kiora Sun 22-Sep-13 13:15:35

I posted with tongue in cheek really. Seriously though I do have spare rooms but 1 the beds are not as comfortable as ours. 2 it would be a very very last resort I like the intimacy of sleeping together.3 The pjs work to mop up the sweat so I think he should wear them and he mostly does just not last night. But if that's all i'v got to moan about I'm happy The roller coaster of family life can be wearing at times. A little banality is good for me.

NfkDumpling Sun 22-Sep-13 16:31:40

Pearl clutching? Is this an expression I can throw into polite mixed conversation?

absent Sun 22-Sep-13 20:08:16

There is only one poster I know for certain who wears pearls. She posts about them from time to time as well as about many other topics.