Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Just a thought about Carol's family

(63 Posts)
baubles Thu 07-Nov-13 09:28:53

During the night I was thinking about Carol's family having to organise her funeral from afar. Of course I have no idea what arrangements will be made but I do know there would be huge expenses involved for all of the family to get together somewhere.

Do you think it would be possible to have some way of us donating towards this?

Grannyknot Fri 08-Nov-13 09:05:50

Just to say my original question was whether GNHQ has a policy in circumstances such as these, where anonymity is breached (and didn't suggest any deletions).

Given that Greatnan was a prolific user of social network sites, and used different nom-de-plumes, it probably is a moot point whether or not to delete the ones she posted on here.

But from an earlier post by when her family also have a view on the matter...

Whatever else happens, Greatnan is indeed at peace.

maxdrans Fri 08-Nov-13 00:44:37

I too think greatnan s posts should not be removed they are insperational and show her unique style and love for life that comes. Through from her posts long may she live in gransnetwsmdq forums

Eloethan Fri 08-Nov-13 00:27:39

I would be sorry to see Carol's posts removed but I feel it should be up to her family to decide what should be done.

Giginanna Thu 07-Nov-13 23:28:21

Perhaps all Carols posts and her history..should be held and archived by gransnet for her family , never deleted, or at least only from the public domain. I'm sure that every conversation , every debate, all her pearls of wisdom and her kindnesses publicly and privately sent, should at least be preserved for ..her children .grandchildren and great children. All of whom have a right to know ..that she was an amazing woman and very much loved and admired. Whatever she wrote and shared on gransnet was honest ,open and written in her own voice....and her family should be able to hear her voice again ..just as it was.. Exactly who she was! and ..I just loved her from afar!

whenim64 Thu 07-Nov-13 23:21:57

Good point, Merlot

merlotgran Thu 07-Nov-13 23:17:25

I think a lot of us have blown our cover over the last couple of weeks but it was all in a good cause.

LizG Thu 07-Nov-13 23:11:53

I can understand a bit better now and feel the decision is for the family to make. I wish the posts could be held somewhere securely because it is really too early for her lovely family to make any decisions.

Talking about security, i feel much more exposed myself and today alone started three posts then cancelled them because I felt too vulnerable. We don't know who could be lurking so maybe it is a good lesson to learn.

absent Thu 07-Nov-13 22:58:21

There was a strong personal reason why Greatnan stopped posting on Gransnet. I imagine that her daughter has or will be in contact with GNHQ to address those posts that are specifically related to this concern.

glassortwo Thu 07-Nov-13 22:18:21

mishap thats is exactly my feelings.

Nelliemoser Thu 07-Nov-13 21:47:49

I can understand the deletions now. They are not going to delete her jokes are they?

Mishap Thu 07-Nov-13 21:33:53

The issue here is the that that her anonymity no longer exists and it may very well be that she may have made different decisions about what to post if she had been posting openly. Sad though it would be to lose her valuable and always interesting posts, there is a case to be made out for respecting her privacy and removing them.

Grannylin Thu 07-Nov-13 19:38:04

I agree, and in the meantime I'm having great fun reading the more strident posts grin

ffinnochio Thu 07-Nov-13 19:24:07

I feel that what happens to Carol's posts is entirely the decision of her family.

JessM Thu 07-Nov-13 19:21:43

I did find it strange to get repeated "friend suggestions" on FB re a friend of my DS who died about 5 years ago. He is still on FB. Not sure what the process would be for getting someone deleted from there.

bluebell Thu 07-Nov-13 19:14:21

Deleting isn't about Carol - it's about those left behind - she said very private things about her family not using her own name. It's all changed now - cant HQ put the posts in a sort of 'safe box' until things are clearer about what the various family members want?

Aka Thu 07-Nov-13 19:12:15

What we think doesn't matter - it's not our decision to make. Never-the-less I'm sure Carol would have been happy to think people would like to copy and keep her poem. After all she did choose to share it with us.

MargaretX Thu 07-Nov-13 18:47:27

I think that her posts will be deleted. I have heard that in future that will be normal for Facebook as well. Some one said in 20 years there will be more dead people on Facebook than live ones.( the younger ones preferring another forum) This was such a shocking thought that they may make that Internet Forum policy.
So Fiona is right - and that other daugher. I would not like the views of my mother concerning me or my children to be left unedited for ever on a public Forum.

Grannyknot Thu 07-Nov-13 18:26:50

Thanks for that info, when. I understand the request by Carol's daughter. These are indeed extraordinary circumstances. Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent, that was not my intention.

Flowerofthewest Thu 07-Nov-13 18:17:43

Hmmm, reading other's views, maybe certain posts which were very personal to her. Leaving others, her wisdom will live on then.

Flowerofthewest Thu 07-Nov-13 18:16:23

Happy to contribute if agreed. Lovely idea. Grannyknot, I think you are right. She was very private person and like you say her identity is known now. A good idea to delete her posts, with love of course.

wannabeagran Thu 07-Nov-13 17:29:13

I knew Carol from other forums & joined up here in case there was any way I could help when she was missing.

She was incredibly open about herself on many forums, on some her chosen name was Sheridan or Carol. I can't believe she would want her posts deleted.

Could some kind person please direct me to her Autumn poem? Many thanks.

whenim64 Thu 07-Nov-13 17:28:00

No, don't delete all of her posts, but Fiona (daughter) did request that some might be removed now Carol's anonymity has gone. I emailed GNHQ with her message the other day. Hope this helps the discussion.

merlotgran Thu 07-Nov-13 17:25:25

Beautiful poem about Autumn?? Was greatnan also Scarlet21 or have I got the wrong poem? confused

I don't think any of her posts should be deleted (I think she'd be livid!) especially as posts of banned members still exist.

janerowena Thu 07-Nov-13 17:07:43

I was quite shocked at the thought of deleting all her posts. It's bad enough knowing that she won't be making any fresh ones. As time passes, threads she posted on will sink backwards in time anyway, naturally. And it's not as if anyone can stalk her now. sad

bookdreamer Thu 07-Nov-13 16:59:04

and I meant to say I agree with JessM and Gally