Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Is Gransnet the same as Mumsnet?

(13 Posts)
broomsticks Wed 20-Nov-13 09:56:34

I'd always reckoned that our generation has a much closer relationship with our children than our parents did with us. I suppose that it just depends on individuals as always.
We were lucky in being able to afford houses and there being ruins to do up back then but from what I remember the 70s were pretty grim with three days weeks etc.

Stansgran Tue 19-Nov-13 20:00:16

Today's perfect mums are tomorrow's toxic parents as far as I can see. There are reams about how imperfect their parents or In laws are. They should walk a few miles in others' moccasins. They don't understand that most people do the best they can even if it's a poor best.

Agus Tue 19-Nov-13 18:55:06

Much more forthright and don't mince their words but, when it comes to support, they are an amazing lot.

Iam64 Tue 19-Nov-13 18:55:01

My feeling is that the dislike of baby boomers from some on mumsnet is linked to relationship difficulties with their parents. They then generalise what they see as selfish behaviour to everyone who had the fortune to be born in the aftermath of the 2nd war. If only they could consider the privations many of us lived with, and how many were affected by father's who returned from the war with undiagnosed and untreated ptsd, and just had to get on with it. Life is often a challenge, that's part of living

Ariadne Tue 19-Nov-13 18:49:49

MUMsnetters are incredibly supportive, as we found. And they are upfront and honest - just younger. That's all.

Ariadne Tue 19-Nov-13 18:48:30

broomsticks have sent you a PM.

Mamardoit Tue 19-Nov-13 18:30:36

Some on MN really dislike the baby boomers........Say they had all in the good years and still want it all in retirement.

I come on here because I am a gran but I still like MN even though I don't post often now.

Nonu Tue 19-Nov-13 17:47:17

I don"t think you are disqualified as a Gran Broomsticks .
I think the attitude is more the merrier !
grin

Nonu Tue 19-Nov-13 17:45:48

Mumsnet does not really appeal to me . it is okay for a little diversion on a rainy afternoon , otherwise "fraid not .

broomsticks Tue 19-Nov-13 17:20:51

Support and kindness is always good! Mumsnet supported my son's book too, which is why I'm asking. I hope Greatnan was okay! That sounds traumatic.
I suppose one could be a member of both but maybe when you are a gran you are disqualified.

whenim64 Mon 18-Nov-13 19:05:04

Same people, some same, some different issues to discuss on the forums. The language used tends to reflect the different generations. Mumsnet can be a bit aggressive on some threads and feel quite impersonal BUT their support and kindness when our Greatnan was missing was fantastic, as people tend to be when one of us is in need of help.

absent Mon 18-Nov-13 17:55:35

Yes, but otherwise no.

broomsticks Mon 18-Nov-13 17:53:50

Well, apart from the obvious age difference grin. I mean is it the same company?