Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Adverts

(9 Posts)
henetha Wed 23-Apr-14 11:03:19

I've not been on Granset much just recently as I have been overwhelmed by pesky flashing and vibrating adverts while on it. Not just on Gransnet, but mostly. DS says it's not the fault of the website but something my computer has picked up. I did a full scan and it showed nothing.
DS is going to give my p.c. a good overhaul at the weekend and hopefully that will fix it.
Is anyone else having problems with adverts?

Charleygirl Wed 23-Apr-14 11:08:29

Sorry Henetha, never.

Elegran Wed 23-Apr-14 11:50:15

Do they seem to come from /google? Because you can choose options on google on what kind of targetted ads you receive. Given half a chance they show you ads based on which sites you have visited and what you have searched for.

merlotgran Wed 23-Apr-14 11:59:17

I have the same problem. It seemed to start when I installed google chrome because Internet explorer stopped working. I spend most of my time chasing adverts and trying to delete them and then another one pops up angry

sunseeker Wed 23-Apr-14 12:05:28

I had this a little time ago and it seems I had somehow downloaded something (no I don't know how either!) had the programme deleted and everything is now fine - no doubt your DS will know what to look for. Never had any problems with Google chrome, I do have it on my laptop but tend to use Internet Explorer.

Elegran Wed 23-Apr-14 12:13:29

I don't know Google Chrome (always select NOT to install it when I get the offer while installing something else0 but there is probably a way to stop these intrusive ads somewhere on it.

PS - I searched Google for "Blocking google Ads" and this page came high up the results. https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB

Elegran Wed 23-Apr-14 12:24:24

That link was VERY useful.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Apr-14 14:09:02

We do have ads on our site, but they're only across the top and in a square in the right-hand side (see pic attached to this post).

If they're moving about and flashing, it's probably something to do with your browser. Do check the settings - you can block pop-up ads.

henetha Thu 24-Apr-14 10:40:50

Thanks KatGransnet and everyone. Recently Yahoo somehow took over from Google and the problem started then. Hopefully DS will sort it out this weekend. Meanwhile, flashing and vibrating adverts driving me mad!