Gransnet forums

Site stuff

National Care Home Open Day...looking for a gransnetter to blog

(11 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Jun-14 17:08:57

Friday is National Care Home Open Day - if you are interested in finding out more about life in your local care home and/or how you can get involved (ie befriending local residents, teaching a skill or activity for example) you are very welcome to go along to homes taking part in the day. The CQC (Care Quality Commission) will have over 150 social care inspectors who will be at some of the care homes on the day and they will be on hand to talk about what we do, our new style inspections and ratings and what good care looks like. You can find your nearest home taking part here www.cqc.org.uk/content/national-care-home-open-day-2014

In addition - an opportunity for a gransnetter in or around SW London on Friday to meet Andrea Sutcliffe, the Care Quality Commission’s Chief Inspector for Adult Social Care, find out more about new style inspections for care homes and new ratings for care homes being introduced from the autumn and also about the "Mum Test" ie making sure care homes are good enough for everyone’s Mum.

We would love to publish a guest blog post (or several!) from gransnetters who go along. If you're interested in writing one simply email us at [email protected] asap and we can give you all the details.

tanith Tue 17-Jun-14 17:23:50

A shame there are none anywhere near me in Ealing .. the nearest seem to be Watford or Slough a long way off.

ninathenana Tue 17-Jun-14 18:33:23

Likewise, nearest one to me is 40miles away.

SunsetWatcher Wed 18-Jun-14 10:51:10

Hi Tanith

There are CQC inspectors signed up to visit care homes in Kingston and Wimbledon, and Chelsea if that's not too far for you.

And there's nearly 3000 Care Homes more widely taking part in the day, so hopefully they'll be one even closer to you (you can find these in the National Care Home Open Day site.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Jun-14 10:59:17

Yes Tanith if Kingston or Wimbledon are any good let us know asap.

goldengirl Thu 19-Jun-14 17:17:31

Just looked up ones in my area and was horrified by the spelling errors in the introductory text! I hope this isn't indicative of their quality of care!!! [worried emoticon]

mcem Thu 19-Jun-14 17:30:12

A couple in Wales, none in N Ireland or Scotland. Hardly national, is it? Is there a separate organisation that I've missed?

mcem Thu 19-Jun-14 17:35:42

Sorry! Went to their site and found several in Scotland. They just weren't on main map!

Riverwalk Thu 19-Jun-14 17:53:17

I'm not sure at this stage what's involved but I could do Chelsea.

Elegran Thu 19-Jun-14 17:59:09

A common interpretation of "National" to mean "English" Mcem.

Even AgeUk is really Age-everywhere-in-Uk-except-Scotland-we-should-have-called-it-Age-England-and-Wales. Their scope and boundaries stop at the border. They were unaware of the error in their title until Age Scotland pointed it out to them, too late to change it, of course.

Until and unless legislation changes things, Scotland is a part of national UK I am not pro-independence, but I can see how assumptions like these do make some people think that if they are invisible to "National" organisations, they might as well be completely separate.

durhamjen Fri 20-Jun-14 00:35:27

I visited my mother-in-law in a nursing home yesterday. It's not on the list. The care home she was in before that is, but does not do nursing care. She is now paying twice as much for an inferior service.
Shame the nursing home is not on the list. Shame they cannot all be inspected by caring relatives.