Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Why don't we stop reporting the trolls?

(60 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Jul-14 11:20:51

Can't we just argue them into the ground in our inimitable fashion? Instead of running to teacher at the first sign of trouble?

Aka Fri 04-Jul-14 06:44:54

Then everybody leave the thread.

Anne58 Thu 03-Jul-14 23:28:27

The thing is, some of them don't actually post things that one can argue with, if you know what I mean?

If it was anything controversial or contentious, then yes, of course anyone could post a response that perhaps challenged that or offered another opinion, but the posts I have in mind don't allow that or facilitate that sort of response.

merlotgran Thu 03-Jul-14 23:18:49

They can't stand being ignored so IGNORE THEM

Aka Thu 03-Jul-14 23:12:02

That's good advice in general too Faye ...ignore them they'll soon go away.

Aka Thu 03-Jul-14 23:10:33

Wind Up Merchant.

Faye Thu 03-Jul-14 23:10:08

I agree vegasmags but I don't think some others are listening.

Please don't give trolls oxygen, don't argue with them. Ignore their posts otherwise you are encouraging them to keep coming back. Virtually step over their comments and keep on with the original discussion and they will eventually lose interest.

Dragonfly1 Thu 03-Jul-14 22:54:29

What's a WUM?

HollyDaze Thu 03-Jul-14 22:38:59

I've never reported any poster on any forum - I've been tempted if they use bad language but that does seem to be the norm on a lot of forums so I didn't bother and just learned to put up with it.

Trolls and WUMs get bored if you ignore them.

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 22:25:35

I just love that expression "bits of kids" it is so very old fashioned !

I used to say it to mine & of course as they grew older , started to resent it & moaned like heck !

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Jul-14 22:23:51

[shrug] moon

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Jul-14 22:23:04

Excuse me Nonu????

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 22:22:59

"TEE HEE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Jul-14 22:22:39

Btw, I'm not criticising anyone who reported the posts. I drew HQ's attention to a couple which it seemed they had overlooked. Just suggesting an alternative way. When it is obviously little bits of kids. grin

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 22:22:19

JINGLE
Just behave, !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Jul-14 22:14:19

" If some people think this is snitching to teacher, let them take their contributions to a different forum that is not so well moderated."

You wish. hmm

Ana Thu 03-Jul-14 22:07:22

Yes, I think I'm aware of that. If they do infiltrate on a 'softly softly' footing, we can hardly be expected to report them - and how are GNHQ supposed to know? Easy to change your PC and even location.

vegasmags Thu 03-Jul-14 21:52:49

I think you're missing the point ana. I think it's up to GNHQ to decide. Some trolls like to infiltrate on a softly softly footing before revealing their true colours. And of course there are always those who enjoy dissension for its own sake.

Ana Thu 03-Jul-14 21:48:38

Some of us don't think GN would degenerate that suddenly, vegasmags. Please credit us with the ability to discriminate between the vile and the simply silly and juvenile...hmm

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 21:36:41

""when""

Le Sigh

vegasmags Thu 03-Jul-14 21:30:43

I always report posts that I think are generated by trolls - they are usually very easy to spot and a mile away from the heated debate that sometimes takes place on GN. If you value GN as a reasonable, moderate place to debate, then don't try to argue with trolls. If you give them the oxygen of attention, very soon the GN you know and love will be swamped and obliterated by the most vile and moronic contributions you can imagine. I think that by reporting possible trolls, and leaving it up to GNHQ to arbitrate, we are preserving GN as the place we know and value. If some people think this is snitching to teacher, let them take their contributions to a different forum that is not so well moderated.

rosequartz Thu 03-Jul-14 21:28:42

I think they were all the same person! Certainly Tony Abbott would be spluttering in his brew if he thought some of the comments could have been attributed to him! He might talk some rubbish sometimes, but .....

Hairy? Moi? How dare you!

whenim64 Thu 03-Jul-14 21:24:23

The deleted posts we're discussing here, nonu hmm

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 21:22:56

when which particular one are you talking of ?

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 21:21:38

ANA , splutter ! & grin

whenim64 Thu 03-Jul-14 21:21:11

I think we're usually quite respectful on here. Sometimes, I peep in on Facebook and some of the comment threads between young men and women would make a docker blush - but they can be very funny grin

I didn't take offence at any of the quips on the Rolf Harris thread - if anything they made me laugh. However, they did break the GN rules and he was clearly a troll. He should have known better than to take his chances with a load of feisty Gransnetters grin