Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Help us choose a winner - The Churchill Awards

(128 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-Oct-14 17:48:31

The awards scheme - run by leading retirement developer, Churchill Retirement Living - is designed to honour the work of the UK’s over 65s and celebrates the significant role older people have to play in British society. The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months and winners are decided upon by a panel of expert judges.

I've been invited to join the judging panel to champion the ‘Politics’ category and would love gransnetters' nominations to recognise people active in the political arena aged over 65 who have made a significant contribution in the last 12 months to their field.

Please add your nominations to the thread by 31st October 2014.

I'll be presenting them to the judging panel in Novmber - and the winners will be announced later in the year.

Spencer McCarthy, chairman and group managing director of Churchill Retirement Living, comments: “There are 10 million people in the UK that are over 65 years old. The older generation remain vital to the health of our society, they have substantial spending power, and they represent a significant proportion of the popular vote and will continue to increase as a percentage of the overall population. Yet our research has shown that as a society we tend to view older people as simply old - not as ex-war heroes, ex-Olympic athletes, previous captains of industry or lifelong teachers and nurses.

“Increasingly the over 65s play an important role in all realms of society – in politics, art, scientific research older people are still at the forefront of excellence in their field. As a group the older generation has an awful lot to still contribute to society and we wanted to honour and recognise that contribution.”

You can find out more about the Churchill Awards here and about Churchill here

jennyjoe Wed 22-Oct-14 14:31:35

I would like to nominate Alan Johnson. Although I think he is only 64 so may not count

MiceElf Wed 22-Oct-14 14:40:36

Thinking further, another name is Baroness Rosalind Howells. She is a member of the House of Lords, but is a working peer and has done wonderful work in race relations and many other fields.

Cagsy Wed 22-Oct-14 15:21:21

How about Ann Clwyd?

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 15:47:44

Very good suggestion, Cagsy, I second that!

She's had a remarkable career, tackled many of the issues raised on GN, and is about to stand again in the next election at the age of 77.

Cagsy Wed 22-Oct-14 16:26:56

Thanks Ana

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 17:15:28

John Humphrys! He's still going. And he keeps the politicians on their toes.

ninathenana Wed 22-Oct-14 18:18:33

I didn't recognise the name Ann Clwyd but having Googled her I think she's a good choice.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 18:40:03

It would please the Welsh. And the Labour supporters.

What exactly has she done in the last twelve months that is so marvellous? Or at any time previous to that?

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 18:42:05

What's John Humphrys done that's so marvellous? grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 18:45:16

I like him! Brings a bit of life to politics. [tsoe]

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 18:46:34

Ann Clwyd was against the bedroom tax of course. That would go down well with GNHQ. hmm

Wonder what she thinks about the state of Iraq now.

Marmight Wed 22-Oct-14 21:34:56

Betty Boothroyd? I thought she was an amazing Speaker

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 22:20:43

She was, of course, but:
"The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months."

durhamjen Thu 23-Oct-14 00:34:36

"A Blaze of Autumn Sunshine", Tony Ben's last diaries were published on 24th October 2013. I believe that to be less than a year ago.
He was still giving speeches less than a year ago.
Barbara Castle once said she would always vote for him in a leadership election because he inspired people. I agree with her. I am sure his son would be willing to accept an award on his behalf if he won.

durhamjen Thu 23-Oct-14 00:36:35

Gillybob, there are many people who get posthumous awards in all walks of life. Why not here?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Oct-14 10:25:03

True. So long as they were at least four-fifths alive within living memory.

There can be no better choice than MiceElf's Efua Dorkenoo. How can there be? Has anyone actually read the article I linked to? Any young African girl could accept the award on her behalf.

And it's a non party-political choice.

Riverwalk Thu 23-Oct-14 10:35:17

The Churchill Awards - somehow seems a bit misleading to me.

I know it's the company's name but they are property developers.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Oct-14 10:45:03

Oh, it's just an advert really. Selling retirement homes. Expect that's why GN was chosen. smile

Riverwalk Thu 23-Oct-14 10:55:09

Human rights activists, esteemed politicians, etc., are too important to be given an 'award' by a property developer!

Jan Thu 23-Oct-14 12:23:30

Count me in for Tony Benn. Principled, a role model if ever there was one

Knowsley Thu 23-Oct-14 12:34:29

How about Sir David Attenborough?

He has spoken out repeatedly against the rising political clout of the Creationist movement in the USA, and climate change naysayers throughout the world.

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/11/sir-david-attenborough-enough-with-the-creationists-and-climate-change-deniers.html

Tegan Thu 23-Oct-14 12:38:30

Another vote for Tony Benn here. When asked what he would like his epitaph to be his reply was 'he encouraged us'. A geat man, a great politician and a great human being who reached out to people of all creeds, colours and ages; but, above all, he was a champion of the underdog.

Anniebach Thu 23-Oct-14 12:59:10

Ann Clwyd, for putting forward female genital mutilation in a private members bill. For speaking out against neglect in the NHS , even when grief stricken she had the courage to speak in the house of her husbands death. Her fight for women's rights and equality, and the first woman to be selected in the South Wales Valleys, that I assure you makes her a remarkable woman

Dee Thu 23-Oct-14 13:21:15

Tony Benn was the first person that I thought of but then I remembered Barbara Castle, strong, determined and a great role model for older women.

If I had to pick someone alive it would be Anne Power from my Mancheater Growing Old Disgracefully group. Anne is an active member of the Green party and won the Guardian/Observer Local Hero award in their environmental awards this year. She is in her 80s and went every day to the recent anti-fracking protests at Barton Moss.
I'm a long time Labour supporter and one time activist but I've now joined the Green Party as they are the only ones who actually have plans for a truly fair society.

Dee Thu 23-Oct-14 13:24:55

Having read the first part of Alan Johnson's auto biography I'd agree he's a good candidate but Ann Clwyd would be a great choice.