Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Searches

(14 Posts)
durhamjen Sat 20-Jun-15 12:25:27

I have just tried searching for three different subjects, but gave up because the threads do not appear to be in any particular order, and there is no way to find out which threads are dormant until you read them.
This is very time consuming.
Is there no way that the searches can bring up threads in date order?
Does anyone else find this a problem?

AshTree Sat 20-Jun-15 12:34:54

Yes, durhamjen this is something that I have found particularly aggravating, especially when the topic searched for produces 500 results. I can lose the will to live trawling through that many threads hmm

soontobe Sat 20-Jun-15 12:35:38

Yes.
I just thought I was doing it wrong in some way.
Plus I dont even know what is the difference "Search" and Search Forums" on here.

tanith Sat 20-Jun-15 12:37:25

I don't think I have ever used 'search' I usually find stuff using 'I'm on' or 'active'.

durhamjen Sat 20-Jun-15 12:52:25

Yes, but sometimes, Tanith, I am not on the topic I am looking for, and it might have been 100 threads ago, so no longer active.
Two interesting examples. I did a search for Jeremy Corbin and the result was no mentions of him, which is odd because he has been mentioned quite a few times over the last week.

I read an article in the Guardian about the SAS training officer in charge of the recruits who died on the Brecon Beacons. I have tried all sorts of searches to find the most recent thread mentioning that tragedy, but can only find it in 2012. I am sure it's been on this month.
If anybody can point me in the right direction, I will say what I want to on that thread, instead of setting this one off in the wrong direction.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Jun-15 13:04:34

The search facility on here is dreadful. I might have to do a 'Dear GNHQ'.

AshTree Sat 20-Jun-15 13:37:01

Go jinglbellsfrocks grin

Elegran Sat 20-Jun-15 14:10:43

I have been telling GNHQ that the search facility is useless for the last four years or so. Nothing has happened.There are all kinds of ready-made search-boxes out there that can be inserted into a website. I don't know why they persist with this one.

Elegran Sat 20-Jun-15 14:13:25

Very weird - I searched for "Corbin" and not only did it say that there were no mentions of him, it also told me that I am not watching any threads at the moment. That is true, but it is not what I asked.

soontobe Sat 20-Jun-15 14:14:00

What reason did they give for not replacing it?
Money?

Perhaps they would rather the site has an awkward search facility.

soontobe Sat 20-Jun-15 14:14:36

Is Corbin spelt Corbyn?

durhamjen Sat 20-Jun-15 15:33:00

Yes, it is, soon, but the search comes up with no results just the same, even if you put Jeremy in.
Why would any site want an awkward search facility? Why bother with a search facility at all if it's a useless one.

soontobe Sat 20-Jun-15 16:54:55

An awkward search facility means that it is awkward to search for lots of things, if you know what I mean.

Ana Sat 20-Jun-15 17:09:43

Elegran, I got that message, too...hmm