Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Dear GNHQ

(80 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Sep-15 09:50:20

I have just had a brainwave!!!

What this site needs is a prozac emoti!!! Just for the oncoming darker days of Winter.

Pretty please? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Sep-15 13:48:31

grin That'll do nicely.

thatbags Wed 23-Sep-15 13:49:51

merlot grin grin

Yes please!

Alea Wed 23-Sep-15 13:57:55

Rewrite my post [squelchED]

Alea Wed 23-Sep-15 14:09:35

Am I to assume that a body expressing a contrary opinion to the received wisdom of a thread is ummediately deemed to be on their "high horse"?
In that case there have been quite a few 18hh nags (IMHO)around in the time I have been on GN and there was I thinkng it was fine to express a personal opinion <sigh>
#shouldhaveknownbetter

merlotgran Wed 23-Sep-15 15:19:52

Alea. My post was intended for any high horse in residence at the GNHQ stable block and might fancy the odd [carrot] or two. I wasn't singling you out.

No need for the lecture PM hmm

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Sep-15 15:37:29

Late on parade here - I was off drinking gin hacker hunting again... My speciality, don't you know

Anne58 Wed 23-Sep-15 15:39:13

I think that there are still a fair few of us that are still asking for a "bleurgh" emoticon!

Alea Wed 23-Sep-15 15:59:01

The PM I believe you objected to, Merlotgran
"If the " high horse" comment was addressed to me I'd rather you said outright.
1)"Happy pills " not funny. Like so many people xxxx xxxx xxxxx was prescribed Valium like Smarties "" in the 60's , unable to break her addiction despite serious attempts.
2) I don't think depression is necessarily something to be joked about. Do we really want to give out an image of Prozac being the panacea for all ills older people have to put up with?
So if that constitutes being on my " high horse" so be it.
Sometimes you want to have a laugh, sometimes it doesn't seem all that fun, so that's all I feel"

I apologise if this PM (the clue is in the "P" part of "M" ) was unwelcome, but as it contained a reference to a (potentially identifiable) third party I thought it preferable to posting on the thread. But having redacted the message to remove the reference here it is for all to see.
Quite why it needed to be referred to n the thread is beyond me but I will learn from that and avoid expressing views privately if that seems to be better.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Sep-15 16:26:45

I feel like cutting me posting finger off. #howdoimanageit

Penstemmon Wed 23-Sep-15 16:41:43

For the people who do suffer from depression it might be a step too far and also for those with real SAD so maybe we can think of something ..surely we are creative enough.. for those who just find the colder, darker days less fun than brighter, warmer ones

uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=C211GB91021D20150310&p=bed+emoticon

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Sep-15 16:58:12

This was meant as a light-hearted thread. I thought it would be recognised as that. It followed on from another post in which the original poster and then some others, were feeling a bit down. SAD was mentioned. I did not for one moment really expect a 'Prozac' emoticon.

I apologise profusely if I have upset anyone. I have had experience of depression both in myself and in my family. I do not take the subject lightly. But I've just got this stupid habit of needing to see a funny side wherever possible Sorry again.

merlotgran Wed 23-Sep-15 17:01:50

But I've just got this stupid habit of needing to see a funny side wherever possible

I don't think you need to apologise, jingl

I got it in the neck as well and I'm buggered if I'm going to say sorry.

thatbags Wed 23-Sep-15 17:43:50

There's nothing wrong with needing or even just wanting to see the funny side of things, even things that aren't, in themselves, funny. It's a coping strategy, apart from anything else. A light-heartedly-meant thing will never be taken light-heartedly by everyone. It is possible to 'walk away'.

ffinnochio Wed 23-Sep-15 17:49:23

You're a breath of fresh air, Jing. I saw this thread as being light-hearted and quirky.

I think it would be impossible to try to take into account all the sensitivities that GN-ers may have when addressing emoji's. They're just a little add-on that enhances a post for whatever reason. sunshine

ffinnochio Wed 23-Sep-15 17:50:23

sort of x-posts B

granjura Wed 23-Sep-15 17:51:59

nought wrong in apologising either- if you realise you've upset somebody- good on you jingl. This 'high horse' thing is getting boring- all a bit too Downtown Abbey ;) 'does it sometimes get cold up there on the moral high ground'? perhaps. It truly takes one to know one.

Anne58 Wed 23-Sep-15 17:57:58

I have and am being treated for (don't like the phrase "suffer from") depression and haven't found this post/thread offensive.

Although I could quite quickly get fed up with the leaping woman in the summer frock!

Unless of course she was about to land in a cowpat..................

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Sep-15 18:04:00

grin phoenix I love it! grin

Alea Wed 23-Sep-15 18:04:52

No need for anybody to apologise.
You say "It is possible to walk away", thatbags, but does that mean we should only comment on a post if we agree? So much for discussion,
If however, the contrary opinion is expressed and is designated as being on one's "high horse" likewise, end of discussion.
I thought it harsh to describe my opinion as a "lecture" , another "put down".

loopylou Wed 23-Sep-15 18:07:25

I can't see what's offensive <sigh>, been there, done it, got the teeshirt etc. (and possibly starting to slither a bit at the moment?)

jingl, no need to apologise in my (humble) opinion.... It seems so difficult sometimes to keep on the narrow path between humour and offending someone .....l

janerowena Wed 23-Sep-15 18:17:43

Perhaps a 'chill pill' emoticon would be more appropriate?

I have quite a few leftover little pills in packets of my own, and DBH has been off work for months, and is a right miserable sod on some days but I am still able to laugh at that. I found it very funny.

I have just come back from an afternoon out with a good friend who currently has both her OH and DS at home with depression. We both agreed, you have to laugh or you would cry. We prefer to laugh, and coming on gransnet does make me laugh.

Ana Wed 23-Sep-15 18:25:58

It seems to me that you have to take things in context.

No one on here would use a wine emoticon to try to derail a recovering alcoholic, or a cupcake one to sabotage someone's diet. They're just pictures to add illustration to a post.

And I don't know anyone who would be upset or offended by a 'prozac' emoticon (not that we're going to get one!) and that includes myself and others I know who are or have been on similar medication.

thatbags Wed 23-Sep-15 18:27:31

Since I was reading the thread as light-hearted, it never occurred to me that the carrots for high horses comment was directed at anyone. There are often posters on high horses. I daresay I could be accused of high-horsism myself, even though I've never intended to be. More shrugs. More hey hoes.

Or as Stephen Fry would say (paraphrased): "So you're offended? So what?"

Alea Wed 23-Sep-15 18:45:47

That reminds me of why (among other reasons) I cannot stand Stephen Fry.

granjura Wed 23-Sep-15 18:51:56

Sometimes we do not understand why something we said or done has upset someone- especially if it was meant to be funny or a joke. But if someone is upset- then that's good enough reason, no?

I won't ask, but I'm quite sure Alea has good reasons for finding this distasteful- so why not be sensitive to it and stop? Simple.