Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Help us find a winner - the Churchill Awards 2015

(25 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Oct-15 10:22:07

You may remember that last year gransnetters were asked to nominate a political figure. We put your shortlist to the panel of judges (which included Esther Rantzen, Lawrie McMenemy (oh, and me)) and Ann Clwyd was chosen as the winner. This year, once again, we would love to receive your nominations.

The awards scheme - run by leading retirement developer, Churchill Retirement Living - is designed to honour the work of the UK’s over 65s and celebrates the significant role older people have to play in British society. The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months and winners are decided upon by a panel of expert judges.

Once again I've been invited to join the judging panel to champion the ‘Politics’ category and would love your nominations to recognise people active in the political arena aged over 65 who have made a significant contribution in the last 12 months to their field.

Please add your nominations to the thread by 28th October 2015. I'll be presenting them to the judging panel in November.

Spencer McCarthy, chairman and group managing director of Churchill Retirement Living, comments: “There are 10 million people in the UK that are over 65 years old. The older generation remain vital to the health of our society, they have substantial spending power, and they represent a significant proportion of the popular vote and will continue to increase as a percentage of the overall population. Yet our research has shown that as a society we tend to view older people as simply old - not as ex-war heroes, ex-Olympic athletes, previous captains of industry or lifelong teachers and nurses.

“Increasingly the over 65s play an important role in all realms of society – in politics, art, scientific research older people are still at the forefront of excellence in their field. As a group the older generation has an awful lot to still contribute to society and we wanted to honour and recognise that contribution.”

You can find out more about the Churchill Awards here and about Churchill here

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:24:14

Oh not already. It can't be a year.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:26:30

I nominate Corbyn. He's done the impossible - made politics funny! grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Oct-15 10:27:53

And answering a query that came up last year - they DON'T have to be a politician. (And another - it's fine to make posthumous nominations)

rosesarered Tue 13-Oct-15 10:33:42

Jingl..... Yes, there is that!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Oct-15 10:48:58

I did wonder how long it would be before he made the list. grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Oct-15 10:49:53

And yes - a year!

rosesarered Tue 13-Oct-15 10:51:00

So no Corbyn then, as it's only been a few weeks.This needs thought.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Oct-15 11:12:52

Indeed smile Contribution over 2015. And aged 65 plus. We had some great nominations last year I seem to recall

ajanela Wed 14-Oct-15 09:58:11

Corbyn isn't over 65? He looks it, and although he has been only just elected he has been working in politics for years just never got a voice before.

Marmight Wed 14-Oct-15 10:23:46

Denis Healey - and no, I have never voted Labour shock

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 14-Oct-15 11:02:27

ajanela I believe he is 66...just checking...yup born 1949

Spidergran5 Fri 16-Oct-15 20:50:22

Jon Snow! (Not just for his ties...)

Eloethan Fri 16-Oct-15 23:06:00

I'll second Jon Snow.

pambo99 Sun 18-Oct-15 11:44:09

Jeremy Corbyn because he has reignited the spark of humanity in our young people. Caring for your fellow man was trounced by the Margaret Thatcher era and successive Conservative governments.

harrigran Sun 18-Oct-15 12:28:56

Corbyn is hardly a high flyer, 2 A levels at grade E and a college drop out, hardly an inspiration to the younger generation.
To give him his due he has given a lot of people a good laugh, my family and I have not stopped laughing since he was elected.

LullyDully Fri 23-Oct-15 17:16:57

I do find this difficult as I believe we should vote for a woman and only those with a high profile are under 65 or those who are rammed down our throats as looking soooooo young.

I have always admired Shirley Williams as an intelligent, bright woman. She is a great thinker and speaker.

jimorourke Sun 25-Oct-15 14:35:05

to his attention. DuI nominate Councillor Dennis Meredith who is our elected representative on Northampton Borough Council and Northamptonshire County Council.
As a member of the National Institute for Adult Continuing Education I nominated Dennis for an award. He was awarded the Senior Learner East Midlands national award. www.alw.org.uk/winners-stories/winner-story/east-midlands/dennis-meredith

Dennis admits in his life story, now in publication, that dsylexia has limited the sort of work that he has done as a school caretaker but plucking up courage he finally asked the headteacher of Lings School for help.

In the last 12 months he has worked with the lottery funded Growing Northampton Together project coordinated by Peter Stachan www.growingtogethernn3.org.uk/projects. This has resulted in the installation of durable and innovative sports and exercise equipment erected in numerous locations including the banks of Swanhaven Lake, where families are seen enjoying the equipment every day. These installations are very visible from Billing Brook Road and in use by residents of the deprived area of Thorplands as a free means of healthy exercise whilst enroute to the newly refurbished Weston Favell Shopping Centre.

In addition to being the secretary of Southfields Residents Council Dennis works closely with Thorplands Club 81 FC, a large football club run by a Colin Lee www.thorplandsclub81.co.uk and recently Dennis invited the fotball club to work in Blackthorn , an area that suffers enduring deprivation and anti social behaviour. Canon Margaret Johnston of Emanuel Church described the club as a signifcant piece of social cohesion and Dennis Meredith has played a key role in this success. Behind the scenes he is a kind and compassionate chap who helps people out but keeps this quiet. In his leisure time he is very fond of his pets, enjoys his caravan with wife Rona and he's a family man with grandchildren.
Dennis is a solid constituency representative with a large constituency caseload and he personally investigates every complaint or issue brought ring investigation of such an issue he was struck by a garage door and during the accident he broke his collarbone. This has led to further complications of weakened bone and he awaits an operation.
I feel it is timely to nominate this well known politician who is doing the job because he considers it to be "socially useful" rather than dare I say for remunerative reasons. Regards Jim O'Rourke B.A. Hons Criminology

jimorourke Sun 25-Oct-15 14:40:10

The penultimate paragraph should read " ...brought to his attention and during investigation .... my apologies for typos

skyball Tue 27-Oct-15 14:11:52

Can I vote for John Humphrys? He's not a politician but he interviews them a lot and I think he is great

skyball Tue 27-Oct-15 14:13:37

I wanted to vote for Ros Altmann but she is only 59

gloworm Tue 27-Oct-15 14:25:25

My choice is Harriet Harman who I believe is just 65 this year. Taking away what has happened to Labour, on a personal level she is still so active in campaigning for justice and for rights for women. I have a lot of time for her and would love to see her recognised for what she does

pat47 Tue 27-Oct-15 14:48:43

Tony Lloyd - no longer an MP of course but an illustrious career in the house (and local council) This year he was appointed interim mayor of manchester plus police and crime commissioner for greater manchester

I wpould say he was definitely worthy of the prize

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 27-Oct-15 14:49:50

Many thanks to those who have nominated - please do add your thoughts (or indeed views on the people who have been nominated to date) - we will be sending the shortlist off tomorrow (Weds)

granoffour Wed 28-Oct-15 11:29:59

My vote is for Harriet Harman. Sure she stood up in some sexism row a week or two ago. Where some silly company put an advert up for a 'good-looking girl'? Also, I like that she's strong in a predominantly male environment - she's a women's woman.
And she's chair of the human rights committee. Enough reasons? grin