Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Competitions

(4 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 21-Oct-15 13:01:40

Hi juani56,

When you enter a competition, your data is not passed on. Your details are only ever used to deliver the prize to you.

On some competitions, there may be a tick box at the bottom of the form asking if you'd like to hear more from the company providing the prize (see our St Helen's Farm KitchenAid competition for an example).

You're not required to tick the box. If you do tick the box, only your email address (no names, addresses or usernames) is passed onto the company, and they'll add you to their mailing list.

Hope that clears things up.

harrigran Wed 21-Oct-15 11:51:41

You are more likely to receive junk mail because your address has been sold by a charity that you support. Yet another way for the charities to make a few extra pounds, I initially supported one charity and within weeks I was getting requests from six or seven others plus a pile of catalogues and old people type gadgets. It is annoying but nobody seems to have scruples, they are all after making money out of you.

Elegran Wed 21-Oct-15 11:04:43

GN have said that they don't pass on email addresses - so if anyone did, it was the firm sponsoring the competition. If I were you I would contact them and tell them what you think.

juani56 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:45:20

Just to let you know. I entered a competition on this website early last week. Since then I have started receiving many many junk emails selling me things and have now got a Damart catalogue, through the post! I am very careful about tick boxing etc and value my privacy and do not appreciate my contact details being passed on. I haven't entered or clicked into any other emails etc which could have caused this.
I am not suggesting you don't enter a competition but just that be careful what you win!
J