Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Am I alone......

(25 Posts)
trueblue22 Tue 25-Oct-16 21:01:47

I've had a couple of mini crisis in the past few months and have found it very helpful posting on Gransnet.

It was so reassuring that there was a forum I could turn to and be anonymous. Sometimes it's not appropriate to talk about things to friends or family.

This is the perfect place to let off steam and has helped me emotionally at those critical times.

I also like to view new threads and see posters' viewpoints to problems and current issues.

annsixty Tue 25-Oct-16 20:08:23

We all think we have the power to be the kiss of death to threads and sometimes we are right. The point is not to worry, just keep posting and putting your point of view forward and don't be shy of starting new threads. I have started threads which attracted under ten posts and one notable one which reached hundreds but was rather controversial, for any one interested it was about wolf whistles.

Kittye Tue 25-Oct-16 19:07:51

My posts stay white on my iPad.

Falconbird Tue 25-Oct-16 17:11:37

I've stopped a few threads in their tracks more than once, but I've also created a few myself which had a good response.

Just keep communicating that's the main thing.

ninathenana Tue 25-Oct-16 16:16:36

Any newbies who think they can kill a thread (not true !) please do start one of your own smile
It's good to see new ideas and topics, because dare I say it GN can occasionally get a bit boring and samey shock
#hardhattime

Jayh Tue 25-Oct-16 15:53:20

Me too. I have been the kiss of death on quite a few threads.

Peep Tue 25-Oct-16 15:52:04

Thank you Alima, always good to know I'm not alone!

Ana Tue 25-Oct-16 15:50:17

A lot of us can - it's not just newer members! thlgrin

Alima Tue 25-Oct-16 15:47:20

It isn't just you Peep. I can kill off a thread at the drop of a hat!

Peep Tue 25-Oct-16 15:40:11

I have been lurking for 6 months, and posted 3 or 4 times but I always seem to bring the thread to an end. I can't remember where I heard about GN, but I'm very glad I did because it has made a tremendous difference to my life! Thank you.

DAncer66 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:17:37

I used to frequent forums a lot but not for a few years.
Now while trying to give my kids the space to cultivate their own families, I find I have a lot more time on my hands.

I thought to myself, I need a hobby. The first thing I thought of was finding a friendly forum, and I’m happy to announce I found this one.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that I enjoy responding to folk’s posts. I’m not argumentative or confrontational.

If I post anything that upsets anyone it is purely unintentional and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to explain myself clearer or if necessary apologies.

As you will no doubt discover, I have an opinion on the world and his wife. So I’m begging you not to take anything I post too seriously.

Rose flowers

annsixty Tue 25-Oct-16 15:14:35

I hope they all stay for a long time and help to bring some new ideas to the forum and enjoy our company.

Jayh Tue 25-Oct-16 15:10:10

I have noticed this too, annsixty. There is a really nice atmosphere just now and I can understand why new posters feel happy to give it a go. I love this site for all the useful things I have learned and if I ever need to have a good rant about something I know just where to post.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Oct-16 15:09:46

And the ones from HQ are green haha just to muddle everything up

BlueBelle Tue 25-Oct-16 15:09:08

My posts stay white and I m on an iPad

ninathenana Tue 25-Oct-16 15:04:46

My posts are blue on my android phone and on my Kindle. I think it's great when your skimming through a thread to find your post.
You will notice that posts from GNHQ i.e. Cari and co. have a pink background.

Jayanna9040 Tue 25-Oct-16 12:12:00

I was "put on" to Gransnet by a friend who said it might help me understand granny mentality. Don't mean that nastily in any way but I was struggling a bit with how my friends changed when they became grandparents. Now I am hooked! So interesting about all kinds of stuff!!!!!

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 12:06:24

They do on my tablet, but not on the pc

but then, the pc is ancient!

Greyduster Tue 25-Oct-16 12:06:10

I have also noticed a good few new "handles" recently. The more the better. They can't all be former lurkers (I lurked for a long time when I joined).

Lona Tue 25-Oct-16 12:04:45

Your own posts always show in a different colour compared to the other posters on a thread. smile

Nanamaz Tue 25-Oct-16 11:43:48

I'm on my I-pad, maybe that's why. hmm

aggie Tue 25-Oct-16 11:36:29

my posts are blue when i post on my kindle , might explain yours ?

Nanamaz Tue 25-Oct-16 11:34:20

Does anyone know why my posts appear in green, even though the preview is white?

Nanamaz Tue 25-Oct-16 11:33:11

I've been lurking for a while now! Initially I was put off by some of the threads which became really nasty, personal and aggressive. However as things seem more pleasant and friendly now, I thought I'd 'dip my toe in'.

annsixty Tue 25-Oct-16 11:17:44

in thinking that in the time I have been on GN, about 4 years, I have never seen so many new people posting?
I don't know if there has been a recruitment drive, or if they have been lurking for some time.
I also wonder how many will stay the course.