Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Recipes on site

(11 Posts)
daphnedill Thu 19-Jan-17 05:59:19

Rather than recipes for baking with grandchildren and pasta, how about highlighting some recipes for people living on their own (ie Cooking for One) and low calorie/carb recipes for people trying to lose weight?

absent Thu 19-Jan-17 06:14:24

Even better for someone living on their own is to cook for, say, two or four, something than can easily be frozen in portions. Eat one tonight, then freeze the rest as separate portions so you have easy meals for some time in the next three months. Not only is this economical but it also enables you to use lots of vegetable ingredients – healthy and tasty – which can be very tricky if you're trying to adapt a recipe for a single serving.

I wrote a book about this, which also included recipes that could form the basis of two different dishes – one for now and one for making later. I feel certain that I have a copy somewhere in my office but can't lay my hands on it and cannot remember what on earth it was called. It's probably out of print now anyway.

Grannyknot Thu 19-Jan-17 08:04:26

absent I do that - what's left of tonight's ratatouille becomes the basis for tomorrow's vegetarian lasagne.

I get most of my recipes on YouTube or someone's blog page these days, I simply follow the video, I often don't even have the sound on. This is a current favourite site:

www.hefty.co/veggie-pasta-bake/?ref=fb

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Jan-17 10:11:24

We hear you - we're on it! grin

Charleygirl Thu 19-Jan-17 10:27:11

When I cook I rarely cook for one night unless it is perhaps fish. I find my slow cooker great, I can cook a curry, have a portion tonight and another tomorrow and divide the remainder up and freeze the portions for the evenings I cannot be bothered doing much. It is a very cost effective way of cooking provided one puts a little thought into it first, especially as I am not the world's greatest cook.

daphnedill Thu 19-Jan-17 15:13:39

I do that too, although I hate cooking and think anything that takes more than ten minutes to prepare is a waste of time.

The real reason for the suggestion is that we keep reading that two thirds of elderly people are overweight or obese, but all the recipes GN seems to feature are high calorie/carb. It's no wonder if they stuff themselves with cakes and pasta! hmm

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 20-Jan-17 17:16:22

As requested grin

www.gransnet.com/food/meals-for-one
www.gransnet.com/food/easy-low-carb-recipes
www.gransnet.com/health/blood-sugar-diet-recipes-michael-mosley

daphnedill Fri 20-Jan-17 23:53:35

Thank you!

I was really thinking of the big ads which appear on my screen when I log on to GN. There's half a page advertising pasta recipes at the moment and there used to be one called 'Baking with Granny' (or something). It seems as though high carb eating is being encouraged.

daphnedill Fri 20-Jan-17 23:57:51

Sorry to be a fusspot. Those recipes on site aren't really low carb. Ah well! Never mind - it was just a suggestion.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 14:31:31

Just seen the new homepage :-D

I'll try them out and let you know what I think!

meal5 Sun 07-May-17 08:08:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.