Gransnet forums

Site stuff

DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL LIKE THEY ARE BEING SHOUTED AT

(16 Posts)
phoenix Sun 29-Jan-17 00:01:32

When the title of the post is all in capitals?

I've noticed that some of the media requests are posted that way, is it supposed to draw our attention? Some members do it too, as indeed I just have, but only to illustrate!wink

MawBroon Sun 29-Jan-17 00:06:12

ABSOLUTELY!!
It is a total turn-off as far as I am concerned!

Christinefrance Sun 29-Jan-17 00:06:51

Yes I dislike the media things that use capitals, thought it was just me.

phoenix Sun 29-Jan-17 00:51:45

Thank heaven's I'm not alone! grin Although it's not only the media ones, but they are the main culprits.

durhamjen Sun 29-Jan-17 01:18:59

Only another two, apart from this one, on the active thread, unless you count the word list ones, which have been on for ever.
I don't see the problem really.

absent Sun 29-Jan-17 04:54:19

durhamjen I think the problem is that social media convention/etiquette is that caps = shouting.

kittylester Sun 29-Jan-17 06:07:03

I tend to ignore those threads.

And, while we are at it, why are there so many word games with very similar names? They take up an awfulclot of room on the active page.

janeainsworth Sun 29-Jan-17 09:01:26

Yes agree with you about the word games kitty, it's annoying.
Equally annoyed by the shouty capitals threads - except yours of course dear Phoenix grin

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 09:13:24

IT GETS OUR ATTENTION! grin

Charleygirl Sun 29-Jan-17 09:49:17

Maybe roses but I do not always open the thread if somebody is shouting at me.

I am aware that my eyesight is not good and those who send me emails know to enlarge the font but for a few lines on these threads I can manage perfectly well.

morethan2 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:55:43

No it doesn't really bother me at all. Nor do spelling mistakes or bad grammar. I find the word games a nice distraction if I'm stressed. I may be wrong but I use gransnet as a chat forum the emphasis being on chat.

NanaandGrampy Sun 29-Jan-17 10:05:51

Its laziness on the medias behalf. IF they are genuine then they must be aware of the concept that all capitals =shouting. They wouldn't send a professional email like that surely?

So why use it here? Do they really believe it will make people reply or attract attention or do they think old dears all need large writing?

I don't usually take part in the word games and there are a lot of 'game' threads at the moment. But unless GNHQ give us a way to block threads so they don't appear on our active list we just have to lump them. When you think about it , the GN platform doesn't do a lot of the things you take for granted on other platforms.

kittylester Sun 29-Jan-17 10:30:00

It does attract lots of lovely people though!

Alima Sun 29-Jan-17 10:37:27

They probably think we are all deaf. Ageist?

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 10:58:06

Members can always start threads they think are interesting, if they don't like those on offer.

Stansgran Sun 29-Jan-17 12:07:06

I think it might be worth reading the one about the scam as it's been going on Mumsnet and the company the mumsnetters bought from have not produced the goods.