Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Why the persistent demands that I join?

(9 Posts)
maisiegreen Fri 29-Sep-17 05:12:24

I am a member, but don't come on very often. Sometimes I just come on for a quick read without signing on. Part of the (awful) rejig is that, if I'm not signed in, I get persistent notes blocking the screen to ask why I haven't joined.
It feels like a creepy person asking why I won't be their friend. Is gn doing so badly that they have to twist peoples' arms like this?
And don't get me started on the purple everything and naff font....

MawBroon Fri 29-Sep-17 06:16:11

If you click the small "x" in the top RH corner, it disappears.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Sep-17 07:47:36

I m signed in permently so I don't get any 'asks' or prompts and come on when and if I want ( that's most days)

maisiegreen Fri 29-Sep-17 08:18:43

I know how to make it disappear - but why should it be there in the first place (IMO it's because gn has to show advertisers that it has SOME footfall). Significant that mn doesn't have this.

Alima Fri 29-Sep-17 08:25:37

You will have to ask them in charge. Good luck with getting a reply! (I am sure I am not the only one on here who thinks we are the poor relation to MN. Crap font et al).

maisiegreen Fri 29-Sep-17 10:18:25

I thought posting on Site Stuff was the way to do that?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Sep-17 10:22:20

Hello, sorry you've felt bombarded Maisie. Yes we do use prompts encouraging people to sign up to GN (like most other websites like ours). Best thing to do to avoid them is to sign in but you know that already. And yes, we'd love to have more members join.

MrsEggy Fri 29-Sep-17 17:03:10

I'm permanently signed in but every couple of weeks I'm asked to sign in again. Why?

Stansgran Fri 29-Sep-17 19:02:06

Oh so am I .i think it's my iPad. Driving me nuts.