Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Like button

(16 Posts)
NanaMacGeek Fri 09-Feb-18 14:28:25

I think lemongrove has a point. It would be useful if there was a facility to refer readers to a previous post in the same thread rather than quote from it. Quotes can sometimes lose context. Perhaps it would be possible to select a previous post and include a bookmark of some kind in your own post so other readers can click the link and refer to the post in question, then return to whatever they were reading/writing. This is technically quite difficult and a bit of a challenge. I sometimes refer to the time and date of a post for clarity but it's a faff for both the reader and writer of a post.

As to having a ‘like’ button, I dislike the idea that some GNs might feel socially excluded because they didn't get enough ‘likes’ and needed to appease their GN ‘friends’! (I include myself in this group, I was always last to be picked at school!)

lemongrove Thu 08-Feb-18 18:31:51

That’s the problem with an edit button, it can make reading posts difficult if they don’t follow on from each other.
The only worthwhile button would be a quote facility, instead of typing out what another poster has said and then answering it.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:27:46

Not an extended edit button, but just one for a short period perhaps? 5 minutes?
Otherwise following posts may not make sense.

mollie Thu 08-Feb-18 17:52:01

I’d rather have an edit button, I’m always discovering typos after I’ve hit ‘post’! I know I need to reread and slow down but an edit button would be so wonderful (are you listening GNHQ?) smile

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:44:29

Well done kittylester
I like it!

kittylester Thu 08-Feb-18 16:14:07

Good posts maryeliza Jalima - see what I did there!!

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:51:41

henetha

Like ?

If that works, it's the first time I've tried it!

henetha Thu 08-Feb-18 12:05:19

Oh please don't do this. I won't get any and that will upset me terribly!

maryeliza54 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:44:39

Oh you mean FB- sorry

maryeliza54 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:43:48

You don’t mean MN do you?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:03:51

I'm really not interested in that Jalima and maryeliza - it doesn't answer my question does it.

Thank you Lucy; I thought this had been discussed before. I did not realise some people were against an idea much used on your other platform.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:00:34

I agree

(that's another one)

maryeliza54 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:53:45

Here is how to do a like button ‘ Good post x

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:50:21

I'm not sure that it is a good idea; if someone started a thread or contributed to one because they wanted advice on personal problems then getting 'dislikes' or 'thumbs down' in response to their posts could really make them feel more despondent or even, in rare cases, tip them over the edge.

At the very least it could deter people from contributing to GN at all.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Feb-18 10:38:05

Hi GracesGran, there are no plans to introduce a like button at the moment I'm afraid. Sorry!

GracesGranMK2 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:32:47

Are we any nearer to getting one of these GNHQ? I suppose, if all the threads were on Facebook it would be worth going on there but they would still not show up on here I don't think.