Gransnet forums

Site stuff

GNHQ here: Gransnet’s approach to data protection and GDPR

(20 Posts)
Marydoll Thu 17-May-18 14:19:42

The links all worked fine for me. smile

jollyg Thu 17-May-18 13:29:07

Sorry. sadly this is the end of this site.

It has been abysmal in not updating things like, edit, posters CV, you. have been living in the last chance saloon for too long.

However Ihave enjoyed the long distance contacts enormously.

And many thanks to you mods for keeping us rabble in order. You will be missed by many

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-May-18 13:04:06

Hi, yes it's as PittCity says but apologies if that wasn't clear enough. That particular email went out to everyone to update you on our privacy policy. If you want to unsubscribe from our daily newsletter you can do so by 1) clicking on the unsubscribe link in your next Gransnet Daily newsletter, 2) updating your preferences here or 3) emailing us. ​If you wish to delete your account entirely you can do so at the bottom of this page or else email us and we will action that for you.

Pittcity Thu 17-May-18 11:43:34

The links worked fine on the email I received FrancesAnn. Maybe you needed to login?

There was no unsubscribe link on that particular email as it was important that everyone knew about it whatever their email preferences. The unsubscribe link mentioned is at the bottom of the daily newsletter emails.

FrancesAnn Thu 17-May-18 11:04:17

I have just received the privacy email.
The link to delete my account does not work.
The link to unsubscribe does not exist on the email.
I wish Gransnet had tested their IT links before sendingsad

Synonymous Thu 17-May-18 00:28:59

Such beautiful markings, he/she is gorgeous shysal!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 13-May-18 17:07:48

Yes, fine to upload photos on threads - beautiful pic *shysal! It's only on your own personal profile that we're going to implement a better, more secure system.

phoenix Sat 12-May-18 22:03:59

Oh Shysal, what an absolute beautiful, gorgeous pussmog!

shysal Sat 12-May-18 09:28:20

Testing to answer my own question! smile

shysal Sat 12-May-18 09:25:54

Will we still be able to upload photos onto the threads I wonder? I don't put on pictures of people except one of myself ages ago.

TwiceAsNice Sat 12-May-18 07:42:45

I don't suppose the new legislation will stop some comments on Gransnet from being quoted in other forms of media. Now that would be a good thing

Marydoll Sat 12-May-18 06:56:43

If I understand it correctly, the photo part wasn't working very well and that it is only suspended until they come up with something better. That can only be a good thing.?

wot Fri 11-May-18 23:42:31

Yes, spoils a lot about GN

callgirl1 Fri 11-May-18 21:00:56

Pity about all the photos.

wot Fri 11-May-18 20:04:30

Oh this damn kindle. I wrote life is complicated

wot Fri 11-May-18 20:03:21

Blimey! Live is skool complicated these days.hmm

Marydoll Fri 11-May-18 19:20:52

It is a shame about deleting the photos, but GNHQ are just concerned about compliance.
There are massive fines if you get it wrong.☹️

wot Fri 11-May-18 19:12:37

I think it's a shame to have deleted the photos! Took time and effort to put them on.

Marydoll Thu 10-May-18 20:43:20

This looks very thorough, I'm reassured that you are doing your best to address the changes in the law, thank you.

Speaking from experience, I know how much work is required to be fully compliant.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 10-May-18 14:28:26

As many of you will know, May 25 sees the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - a new law covering data protection and privacy. As with any company that works with data, we’ve done some work to ensure that we’re fully compliant with GDPR. If you’d like to know more about what we’ve done, read on.

We have reviewed and updated our Privacy Policy and provided a page of Frequently Asked Questions. We’ve made it easier to edit or delete the information you give us when you join Gransnet - your registration data. This might be no more than a username and an email address; you can have a functioning Gransnet account with just those two things. However if you also told us your name, age, sex, how many grandchildren you have, and/or your postcode, it’s now easier to see how to edit or delete that information in your ‘My Gransnet’ page.

The ‘My Gransnet’ page is is also where you can delete your Gransnet account (although we would prefer you not to, obviously). Deleting your account will not delete your posts on Gransnet but it will delete all the registration data associated with your account.

By popular request, we will not be deleting Private Message archives as originally planned.

If you receive any Gransnet newsletters, you can unsubscribe using the link at the bottom of the email. If you have a Gransnet account you can also subscribe and unsubscribe to any or all of them here

As you use Gransnet you might see a new notice that tells you when cookies are being used. You can find details about how we use cookies in our Privacy Policy and
FAQs.

But in a nutshell, we use cookies to:

- improve your experience by, for example, remembering that you have logged in and that you like reading threads top-to-bottom;

- show you more relevant content and ads; and

- gather aggregate information about how many people visit Gransnet, how often, and what they look at while on the site (aka analytics).

Long-standing Gransnet users may remember the Profile Page functionality that we rolled out to users many years ago. For now we have decided to default all existing Public Profiles to ‘private’, so that GN users who have put personal information on their profiles have a chance to review and delete it if they want to. You can check whether you have a Public Profile, and edit or delete it, by going into My Gransnet.

If you’re looking for the My Photos page: we’ve suspended this for now - it wasn’t working well and needs a complete revamp. Any photos you had previously uploaded have been deleted from our systems.

In terms of GNHQ’s internal processes, we have put further restrictions in place around which staff members have access to Gransnet users’ personal information.

We are emailing all our members to let them know about these changes. As ever, we really welcome your feedback. Do add comments below or email [email protected] if you have any thoughts, questions or concerns.