Gransnet forums

Site stuff

7 Brexit related running in the space of just 1 hour.

(46 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

POGS Mon 20-Aug-18 20:38:33

This will cause me some flak but this has gone on for so long on Gransnet. Only on one topic Brexit, other occasions GNHQ will say this is a Thread about a Thread and deal with it.

As of this moment there are 7 Brexit threads running on ACTIVE in one hour between 19.12 and 20.12 .

Are they not Threads about a Thread?

The only reason I can see for so many threads on the same subject, the same posts being regurgitated on so many threads by some posters is there is an agenda to keep putting over their opinion on as many threads as they can by initiating new OP titles. As a Brexit metaphor it could be said to be ' Having your cake and eating it'. Instead of the 'debate' flowing they simply move on to make their point over and over again.

What it actually does is exactly what Gransnet says will happen :-

' Similarly, we will delete threads about other ongoing threads, as it causes too much confusion on the forums. '

Occasionally a new Brexit Thread has a reason and that's good but why so many of the same ilk are perpetually on the site eludes me.

Yes I can ignore them but I would prefer a sensible debate that does not get cut off only to be started under another guise.

trisher Wed 22-Aug-18 11:25:04

Isn't this simply a thread about threads? Does that mean you can't have a thread about a thread but if it's about multiple threads that's OK? Just seems a bit pointless to me.

MargaretX Wed 22-Aug-18 10:43:01

Could we perhaps number them and then we would know which one we posted on. I've given up as the links have been allowed to get longer and longer and like the conversations in Brussels nothing alters and the outcome is looking bleak.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Aug-18 10:13:11

Just swooping in <ducks head>...

We'd like any Brexit-related discussion (that isn't related to the original OP query) to now move over to one of the Brexit threads. Thanks all! smile

lemongrove Tue 21-Aug-18 23:13:26

Varian..... do calm down, am afraid it is you who are losing it.

lemongrove Tue 21-Aug-18 23:11:59

I don’t have an obsession Gill I merely voted to Leave the EU as we were given a choice so to do.
Had the result been to remain with the EU I would have accepted the result and got on with my life, just as I am doing now.
Gove and Johnson are not my ‘friends’ btw but simply politicians.
What strange comments you make Gill.
Am quite content that Brexit is to you a ‘complete and utter
Disaster’ and have no wish to change your mind at all, never mind ‘try harder’, certainly not.

varian Tue 21-Aug-18 23:05:33

Not satisfied with targetting fellow GNetters, you have now stooped to attacking the entire membership of Mumsnet- desperation or panic or just losing it lemon ?????

It reminds me of someone who went abroad and didn't like the fact there were too many foreigners there, you took a look at Mumsnet and decided there were too many Remainers there.

GillT57 Tue 21-Aug-18 23:02:37

So just like everything else that doesn't support your obsession with Brexit and 'taking back control' lemongrove you simply dismiss it, ignore the opinions, just like your friends Gove, Johnson et al. Experts know nothing, unless they support Brexit of course, and then your pal ally tries to bore us into agreeing with you by posting looooonnnngggg cut and paste articles. Nothing will ever convince me that Brexit is anything other than a complete and utter disaster, you are going to have to try harder. May be give ONE advantage of leaving?

lemongrove Tue 21-Aug-18 22:52:36

Your own puerile name calling does you no credit Varian
Not that anything stops you and your Brexit obsessed comments, it’s a wonder you have time to do anything else.
I couldn't care less if any mumsnetters are reading it, as I have seen some of the fearful over dramatic and posturing pronouncements on there, worthy of an Oscar at times.
Old Leaver? grinJust as you are an Old Remainer, and no, I am not bothered at all by the word old, as most of us on here are, and so what?
I think the result of the referendum vote sent some Remainers over the edge.

POGS Tue 21-Aug-18 22:01:11

Echo !

oldbatty Tue 21-Aug-18 21:43:36

it was about immigration wasnt it?

varian Tue 21-Aug-18 21:28:47

There may not be many Gransnetters owning up to having changed their minds on brexit, but in RL I have met several repentant apologetic and embarrassed Leave voters who really regret how they voted. The information which has come to light in the last two years has made them think again. I have never met anyone who voted Remain and would now change to Leave.

grumppa Tue 21-Aug-18 21:23:40

Well said, POGS. While I have every sympathy with varian's efforts to see Brexit blocked, I do not believe that the multiplicity of Brexit threads on Gransnet will achieve anything, not least because I have never come across anyone departing from their initial position on any political thread (or any thread, now I think about it), because it tends to be principally those with entrenched views who post anyway.

It would be interesting to know, though impossible to discover, whether any silent Gransnet readers are swayed in their views by what they read here.

As for Brexit itself, it was always a dialogue of the deaf (iPad tried to change deaf to dead; for once I sympathise). That is the problem with referendums on issues like this: I rather fear that knowledge at the time of all the problems that have subsequently emerged would have made very little difference, not because Brexit voters were less intelligent than Remainers, but because for many of them the issue was and remains a visceral one.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 21:03:10

Do you think that having so many threads dilutes the messages and in fact puts people off altogether?

MaizieD Tue 21-Aug-18 20:48:45

A fair few of the contributors to the Mumsnet threads are over 60, too, varian.

varian Tue 21-Aug-18 19:49:31

According to lemongrove "Mumsnet is full of Chicken Littles crying that the sky will shortly be falling in"

This remark is very typical of the dismissive leaver mentality. I do hope that there are not too many Mumsnetters reading it as it looks like fuel for a generational conflict.

I accept that most over-sixties voted Leave (although I did not) and that most younger people, especially well educated women who are likely to to post on Mumsnet, voted Remain, but surely the last thing you should want is to exacerbate that divide.

The puerile name-calling of the old leavers like lemongrove does them no credit.

varian Tue 21-Aug-18 19:37:03

You should be fearful oldbatty unless you are sure that brexit can be prevented. I am not sure that can happen but I will do my best to see that it does. Most sensible grannies are, right now, very fearful that the lives of their grandchildren could be blighted by the nightmare that is brexit. You are not alone.

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Aug-18 19:00:40

Who knows oldbatty.?

oldbatty Tue 21-Aug-18 18:50:42

Honestly no wish to provoke a massive fall out but I am fearful about the future. Should I be?

GillT57 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:37:22

Maybe we need to combine the Brexit threads? The problem can be that individual threads can soon get very lengthy. Sometimes posters start with a definite question about Brexit such as 'should we be stockpiling?" I appreciate it can get repetitive but I repeat; this is too important to be dismissed as boring. May be if we kept our comments direct and straight to the point and avoided lengthy cut and paste articles, but backing up any statements with their source, perhaps a link?

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:25:58

You are rightGillT54.
But what are you achieving? Only stress. No-one is listening except us.
We don’t count.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:03:12

No, it shouldn't *GillT57 - but having seven threads, sometimes with some people saying the same thing on each one or posting the same links on each one is confusing and unnecessary and does not move the discussion forward or make any difference whatsoever.

GillT57 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:53:46

A subject so massively important and potentially life changing as Brexit cannot and should not be dismissed or ignored. If people do not wish to engage and wish to stick their head in the sand about this potential catastrophe they may do so, but I shall carry on discussing Brexit as the nearer it gets, the more I am concerned.

POGS Tue 21-Aug-18 14:50:30

Natasha

I posted to Laura on that thread.

Yep, you have answered the question and I am not surprised by the decision but remain confused as to why discussing the 'same topic' on several threads is not discussing other threads ' on the same topic' , a Thread about a Thread.

Ah well if a thread is started, stopped, pops up again and again on new threads the same topic is is not a criteria for being called a thread about a thread.

I will stick with my view. " The irony is having so many threads the message is lost if posters have stopped engaging and only an ' echo ' is heard."

Thanks anyway.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 14:45:18

Repeating the same old things ad nauseam on seven threads on Brexit is downright ridiculous.
It does get very confusing with seven threads. Most of the discussion is on very similar themes, so why not have consecutive threads?
Some of them get to nowhere near the 1,000 post limit.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-Aug-18 13:52:31

Hi all,

We're aware that there are multiple threads on Brexit, but we consider them to be threads about the same topic and not about a specific thread, which doesn't warrant their deletion.

We've also posted similar on this thread: www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1251397-Lengthy-cut-and-paste-acceptable-or-not?pg=6.

Hope this clears it up!

smile