Gransnet forums

Site stuff

synchronising my new tablet.

(20 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 01-Jan-19 17:23:25

Hello. This is aimed at the techies. I have been on GN for 6 yrs.
Mt GN laptop login is still valid but I am still stuggling with it.
I have had to buy a new tablet as my old one has died completely.
I could get full GN function on my old tablet device and my laptop computer but I cannot seem to get another login which will work on my new tablet which is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6.

I have no idea how to get it going now. I would like to be able to just use the tablet device rather than the whole laptop all the time.

I have also had problems having tried to get my password changed, but I cannot now change it because to do that, I need to be able to remember the previous password, which I have have totally forgotten after too many tries.

If you can help me get a new password and general login which I can get to work, how could I get the GN login to work on both the laptop and tablet.
If I can get it going will it actually work properly on the the laptop and the tablet.
My technology skills are fast failing.
Thank you for your help.
NellieM.
To make sure this thread goes to someone who can deal with it. I am "reporting it"

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 17:33:15

Are you using the mobile site or the desktop site of GN, Nelliemoser?

I have found recently that I cannot log into GN on my Galaxy Tablet (an older one than yours) but if I can manage to change to the desktop site I can then log in. It's extremely slow, though.
You'll find the link between mobile/desktop at the bottom of the GN page.

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Jan-19 18:03:56

Whatever comes to hand but thanks for that, Jalima 1108.
At least it might not be me. I am rather regretting buying that one now.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 18:07:09

I always find that GN takes ages to load on the tablet and is extremely slow to get anything to respond - whether it is the tablet at fault or the GN site, I don't know.

Perhaps GNHQ may have some more helpful suggestions - if so I hope they post them.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 18:08:12

I'll report my post above too - in the hope that they may be able to help.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Jan-19 20:37:16

Jalima - can you tell us why you can't log in? What happens on the screen? Could we trouble you to email us at contactus with a screenshot? We're investigating something similar for another user and it would be helpful to know if this issue is widespread.

Nellimoser, we'll email you separately from contactus.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 20:41:34

When I try to log in on the tablet on the mobile site, it just doesn't work. It's as if I haven't done anything. However, on the desktop site (on my tablet) I have discovered that it works and I am logged in.

A screenshot? Um, perhaps I can have a go, it could be Thursday now as we're out tomorrow and I will have to work out how to do that.
I will ask DS!

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 20:42:11

it all works perfectly on the pc.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Jan-19 21:06:54

Thank you! And if anyone else also experiences issues logging in on tablets please email us (with as much info as possible) so we can take a look.

BlueSapphire Wed 02-Jan-19 07:51:29

I had a lot of problems logging in on my last Kindle fire and had to set up a new name, password etc.
Not so much hassle with this new Kindle fire, but still think I had to have a new password. Then I found out that I had two user names and two GN accounts, so managed to successfully delete one and revert to my old username.

ninathenana Wed 02-Jan-19 12:08:32

I'm permanently logged in on my Android phone and Kindle. GN is pinned to start on both, one click takes me straight to the Active page. Don't ask how DD did it smile

Nelliemoser Sat 05-Jan-19 11:01:04

Well its still going on . A short while ago the laptop version came up and told me I needed to login.
A short while later I just got in with no problem.

As Jalima1108 seems to have found '

I have sent other messages to GNHQ about this.

Nelliemoser Sat 05-Jan-19 11:10:31

I am so annoyed P*****d off . I am going off to look at some chats more entertaining than my site problems for a while.

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 05-Jan-19 16:07:14

Nelliemoser These intermittent problems - where something sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - are tricky. If you run into this problem again, please don't hesitate to email us at contactus.

Nelliemoser Mon 07-Jan-19 13:31:36

Update Update! My latest distraction now is that I have never been able to get any messages into my inbox whereby I could get a reset of my original password. Nothing at all from GN gets my Email Inbox.

Non GN messages still come into my Inbox.
I am on my Laptop right now.
The issue of the GN login working for me now, or not working, is still very random. Sometimes it lets me in others not at all. Keep trying .

Love Nelliemoser. xxx We can't go on meeting like this. confused

Nelliemoser Mon 07-Jan-19 13:36:42

I was wondering if I had ended up entering a wrong email address in one of my attempts to login? Clutching at straws now.

NanaMacGeek Mon 07-Jan-19 18:31:23

Nelliemoser, I have some questions:-
1. In your OP, you say can't seem to get another login which will work on your new tablet. Did you forget the email address and password that you originally used to log into GN via your laptop and old tablet?
2. Was it the GN password that you tried to change and on which device?
3. Did you get help from GNHQ for any of this?

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Jan-19 18:03:56

My GN login works OK on my laptop. It should be possible for my existing laptop to work on the same way as other files have automatically migrated onto my tablet as my previous tablet did. Those "new" files certainly do not seem to do it on this new Galaxy Tab A.
Damn the thing.
All I want is to get is the tablet to work so I can read it on my tablet while lying in bed .

NanaMacGeek Tue 08-Jan-19 22:15:22

Nelliemoser, did you actually open the Galaxy Tab and use your browser to access Gransnet. Did you then login to GN using the same user name (your email address) and password that you originally used on your laptop? Didn't this work or are you asking something else?

When you talk about automatic migration, do you mean exporting your browser settings from your laptop to your Galaxy Tab? I'm rather confused by your reply.

Nelliemoser Thu 10-Jan-19 10:37:45

when I had my old tablet it automatically showed up more or less straight away on my tablet. My brain might have shrunk be then.

(Sorry my husband has a bad chest infections and he has a minor panic yeserday) I am trying to sort out what I am doing. There are several computer places nearby but its market day and parking is dire.

I will have to sort it out. Its cold and miserable and I feel so too. Sorry about the whinge,