Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Has Gransnet changed for the worse?

(138 Posts)
mcem Sat 09-Mar-19 09:03:44

I know I'm not alone in thinking that, on thread after thread, the ethos of GN has changed significantly.

Brexit, immigration, benefits are just some of the topics that attract nasty, xenophobic, cruel posts from newer right-wing posters.

These days I tend to leave a GN browsing session feeling thoroughly disheartened that these posters are probably also grandparents who may have real influence over innocent or gullible minds.

rosecarmel Mon 11-Mar-19 14:02:48

It's a good time of year the year for eggs- smile

A local vineyard is holding an adult egg hunt- No idea if the eggs are chocolate or chicken ..

rosecarmel Mon 11-Mar-19 13:56:50

When upset, like seething upset, I type, highlight, then hit delete- I feel better for getting whatever off my chest and for not burdening others with having to read my scathing comments-

Have I always done that? No!

It's possible to be honest without being mean- But even the kindest of comments can be taken as injury by individuals whose views tend to be set in stone at any given moment- However, once an idea is presented, the reader has no choice other than to take it into consideration- As a result their solidified ideas might soften over time -- if they are open to change-

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 12:55:52

I don't think anno means that. grin grin grin

Naughty anno.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:55:46

These days I tend to leave a GN browsing session feeling thoroughly disheartened that these posters are probably also grandparents who may have real influence over innocent or gullible minds
I've been in charge of the DGC for a couple of days too!
shock

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 12:54:41

not my fault

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 12:54:26

I Jalima is totally confusing everybody now.

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 12:53:37

But that was definitely me at the beginning of the chocolates thread. I put my hands up. I received, and kept, and ate unpaid for box of chocccies.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:53:15

Too much sugar.

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 12:52:24

What's my choccies got to do with anything? Totally confused now.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:49:13

What was me at the beginning of what anno?

The chocolates thread Gonegirl!

absent Mon 11-Mar-19 04:55:20

No, it is frequently still lively and often interesting, but I am surprised by the number of puerile games. However, I understand that some people want to play them even if I don't.

Gonegirl Sun 10-Mar-19 22:36:15

moon

Gonegirl Sun 10-Mar-19 22:35:30

What was me at the beginning of what anno? confused

annodomini Sun 10-Mar-19 22:34:10

Gonegirl, so that was you at the beginning, was it?

Urmstongran Sun 10-Mar-19 21:56:36

Oops, sorry sodapop!

Gonegirl Sun 10-Mar-19 21:53:23

Quoting marmight - "At the start everyone was tippy toeing and being relatively polite." Really?! I don't remember that!

Day6 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:54:30

' Get a grip woman' runs through my head but I bite my tongue.

Count me in as another who often feels the same way sodapop.

I haven't been on GN long, just a few years, so cannot say if things have deteriorated or not.

In truth, I don't see many nasty people, or people having a go at others. Perhaps I haven't been on those threads.

I think the most heated exchanges happen on the News and Politics threads. People are partisan so two main groups tend to form and a person from the other side will never, or rarely agree. That happens in 'real life' too, and is fair enough. I can honestly say I do not 'hate' those who hold opinions different from mine, but I have learnt that in face to face meetings I try to avoid talking politics or religion because such discussions can turn sour, and who needs that?

I quite like people who are outspoken. I expect I'd have liked Jingle. I don't like nastiness but I like honesty and people who are fair. I also think some people don't get that. Being direct is equated with nastiness for some reason, and it is nothing of the sort. Nasty people are nasty people. They are not hard to spot.

I think most of us are old enough to appreciate tact too, and would never set out to deliberately hurt or embarrass another.

What I really like about Gransnet is the kindness. People are invariably kind when there is a need.

There is also such wisdom too. I am in awe of some posters who seem so sensible and know just the right words to use.

Has the site deteriorated? No idea. I think it's a good place for so many of us in the autumn or winters of our lives. We exchange ideas, thoughts and to keep the company of so many in similar or different circumstances.

sassenach512 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:10:35

I'd like to see more grandads' points of view on GN it's a pity we don't seem to have many on here. It would be interesting to see the male take on some of the problems posted.
I hate the tit for tat sniping we get sometimes, it's as if one just has to have the last word over the other, very juvenile I think. It's too easy to sit in front of a keyboard and forget you are being rude or unkind and you probably wouldn't say it to someone's face. I switch off from reading the thread when it gets too heated. I tend to stick to the more fun posts, life's too short.

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:20:50

I like mine sunny side up too rosecarmel - but not hidden under a piece of bread in a sandwich!

lemongrove Sun 10-Mar-19 17:19:49

I like the coddled eggs anology rose ?

lemongrove Sun 10-Mar-19 17:18:26

I agree Anja

rosecarmel Sun 10-Mar-19 15:45:04

I think it's lovely and can appreciate that this forum made room for change -- and survived! Because it isn't unusual for forums to eventually fail after becoming too tightly moderated and catering to particular views- Nothing the matter with hashing out what the best way to move forward may be, be it politically or otherwise- There was a forum stateside designed for Grands that dissolved, I think, for reasons mentioned above: entrenched opinions, the coddling of some, as if they were eggs, the blatant scrambling of newcomers- I like mine sunny side up, preferably- But am equally happy with fried!

Anja Sun 10-Mar-19 15:06:43

Now that there are more posters and more diverse views GN is a much better place than it was in the early days.

Plenty of disagreement and a few spats but no one ‘in control’ any more.

I too miss jingle

Jane10 Sun 10-Mar-19 14:37:36

She wasn't my favourite but I wish she was still around.

sodapop Sun 10-Mar-19 13:04:42

Please don't open that can of worms Urmstongran